Forge Welding Class 2018
November 17 @ 9:00 am - November 18 @ 5:00 pm$160
Instructor: Dave Mariette
Saturday & Sunday, November 17 & 18, 9 am to 5 pm each day
Cost: $160 member, $180 non-member
Maximum students: 8, Minimum: 5
Forge welding. So, you’ve seen it done. It looked so easy. Why doesn’t it work for me, you ask? David will seek to dispel the mythical mysticism that seems to surround this technique, and give you the tools you need to begin forge welding. Like many things there is no magic bullet. It is a compilation of doing everything right, not just one thing.
Starting from the ground up learning to manage heat, you’ll begin with some basic welding, and as you gain some experience move on to a few more advanced welding configurations. Some solid basic forging experience would be beneficial.
Safety Equipment: The usual. Eye and ear protection. No flammable clothing. Leather work boots. Since we are forge welding and there will be more sparks than usual, students should dress with that in mind. Bring an apron if you have one.
Tools and Equipment: As part of the cost of the class, students will be provided with their own wire brush and a 1-lb. can of EZ Weld.
Lunch arrangements: Bring a bag lunch or visit one of the area restaurants.
To register for this class, send a check payable to “The Guild of Metalsmiths” to:
17645 Baugh St NW
Ramsey, MN 55303
Contact Christina with questions at (612) 741-9292 or email@example.com
Acceptance priority for this class will be determined by postmark.
Bio…David Mariette (64) metal guy
• Welder, fabricator, blacksmith, metal artisan, blacksmith instructor.
• Mid to late 1980s to present.
• Active in The Guild 25 years +-
• Recipient of Juaire/Hubler Award, Guild of Metalsmiths.
• Area of expertise: Architectural and traditional design iron.
• “Forge welding when practiced and developed as a skill can be a valuable tool in your arsenal. You can create motifs and design by this means that cannot be created effectively any other way.” DM