Guild Membership Meeting - 8 April 2015 at Arms and Armor!

Martin Pansch

Guild Membership Meeting - 8 April 2015 at Arms and Armor!

Unread post by Martin Pansch » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:32 pm

Friends, do you like swords and armor? Don't answer that cause I know you do, how can you not? Well then have we got the event for you!

Next Wednesday, 8 April 2015, the Guild's membership meeting is at the Arms and Armor shop in NE Minneapolis. Details can be found here:

http://www.metalsmith.org/event/april-8 ... p-meeting/

or on the Forum which you can find on the website too.

The meeting's show and tell them is odd metal items. If you have something that presents a bit of a mystery either in how it was made, what it is made of or what it is bring it along. One of your fellow Guilders might have a guess or something amusing they make up on the spot.

Besides that Arms and Armor shop is indeed something to see. Besides the historical examples and production pieces they have around the tools are awesome to see. They literally have more stakes than you can shake a stick at. I tried and got tendonitis ("stick shakers elbow") before I could finish. It took 6 months of physical therapy before I was back in shaking form.

If you are new to our meetings don't let the potluck or the people intimidate you. Those of us with either no cooking ability or who come straight from work just pick something up from the store on the way there. As for the people, they are some of the most genuine and accepting folks you'll find.

No need to be a member to come, it is open to all. We won't even hard sell you on the group or subject you to an Amish-like shunning. Though I can't guarentee I won't yell, "You are not of the Body!" and run off screaming for Landru.

Hope to see a good number of you there.

NMcCartney

Re: Guild Membership Meeting - 8 April 2015 at Arms and Armor!

Unread post by NMcCartney » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:48 am

Any chance they will have some pieces from their Oakshotte collection for us to look at before or after the meeting? Or even better, any antique swords to physically handle from a fencing practitioner's point of view? Because I would geek out pretty hard if I got to hold an actual 14th-15th century longsword and put it through a few swings. =D
"With a book in one hand, and a sword in the other."

Martin Pansch

Unread post by Martin Pansch » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:20 pm

Nathan,

I don't know for sure what historic weapons they'll have there. Typically the Oakshotte pieces are at the museum but they usually have some old stuff around that they are taking measurements from in the shop. They usually have a cool spread for us to drool over (thought not on.) Not sure if they would approve practicing your fleche attack with the historic pieces. While they are pretty permissive about handling artifacts I would suggest asking before picking anything up. Always best not to honk off hosts. ;)

Martin

NMcCartney

Unread post by NMcCartney » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:39 pm

I'll make sure to put a bucket around my neck to keep from drooling on their stuff. =]
"With a book in one hand, and a sword in the other."

Return to “Guild of Metalsmiths Events”