First fire, forge, first thing Its a leaf

We all started somewhere. If you are brave enough, post a photo of your "first" metalworks. The first tongs you made, your first knife, the first forge you built, etc.
jim dumer

First fire, forge, first thing Its a leaf

Unread post by jim dumer » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:29 pm

GEDC0482.JPG
GEDC0482.JPG (3.46 MiB) Viewed 1378 times
GEDC0482.JPG
GEDC0482.JPG (3.46 MiB) Viewed 1378 times
GEDC0480.JPG
GEDC0480.JPG (3.38 MiB) Viewed 1378 times
I have been studying but this is the first story. So starting the fire was a challenge ended up using a torch. Couldn't really get a fire going right away once I did didn't let metal get hot enough. But this is the result Thanks JIM

Martin Pansch

Re: First fire, forge, first thing Its a leaf

Unread post by Martin Pansch » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:19 pm

Hi Jim,

Welcome to the Forum and to blacksmithing!

Nice leaf. Much better than my first. Some would say better than the ones I make now. ;)

Coal forges can be tough to start until you get used to them. When I first switch from charcoal to coal I often had to make a little wood fire before piling on the coal if I had any hope of getting it lit. The torch is a good "cheat" too that I am not above using if I have an issue getting it going (still happens 20 years later). The coal you have can affect fire lighting abilities as well as how much air it is getting. A few times I have tried lighting a forge that has been sitting for a season, not get anywhere despite cranking the hell out of the blower when suddenly "WHUMP" a mouse nest comes shooting out of the pipe to the ash dump. With experience it will become much easier.

I must compliment your forge. I have been keeping my eye out for one of those break-down Army forges for a while. I actually have the 1943 Department of War manual on metalworking that teaches blacksmithing and it has that forge in it. Is yours the one with the hand crank or the electric blower on it?

Take care.

Martin

jim dumer

Re: First fire, forge, first thing Its a leaf

Unread post by jim dumer » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:59 pm

Electric but I do not think it is original I inherited it from a long time friend. I believe we owe these things to the next generation also. And I will tell you it looks easer on tv. But that's the challenge! Thank you Jim

Return to “My first...”