Forge time rental?

Chaunce

Forge time rental?

Unread post by Chaunce » Sun May 15, 2016 8:15 am

Howdy - I am looking to rent some time on a forge in St. Paul or thereabouts.
Apparently, "we can't bother the neighbors with all that pounding and risk burning down the garage," according to my wife.

Let me know if there are studios or private folks who can accommodate.

Chaunce Stanton

Martin Pansch

Re: Forge time rental?

Unread post by Martin Pansch » Sun May 15, 2016 12:39 pm

Have you tried going to the Jackson Street Roundhouse? The Guild has a corporate membership there so any Guild members can work in the shop there for free when they are open. I know Saturday is open, I think Wednesday is too but not sure. Gordon Barr is the champion for that service.

Another option is to join the TC Makers. Their Hack Factory in south Minneapolis has a forge, anvil and a number of other tools members can use. I couldn't vouch for the condition of their blacksmithing tools as I haven't been there in a few years. Last I checked their membership was $55 a month.

I think that Chicago Avenue Fire Arts Center (CAFAC) also lets people re t out studio space. Don't know all what is involved and if use of their forges and anvils is included.

Lots of people are hesitant to "rent out" their shops to folks they don't know well as there is a lot of liability involved. Lots of stuff to hurt yourself on. On the flip side, if people know you and know you aren't a chuckle head liable to hurt yourself and sue then shop play dates come pretty easy.

Chaunce

Unread post by Chaunce » Sun May 15, 2016 3:44 pm

Thanks for the tips, Martin. I live a half mile from the Round House, but the couple times I walked in, always seems to be a troop of Boy Scouts being prepared. :)

Martin Pansch

Unread post by Martin Pansch » Sun May 15, 2016 6:34 pm

Try giving Gordon a call in advance next time. He should know if there is anything planned.

Darryl Ponder

Unread post by Darryl Ponder » Mon May 16, 2016 6:58 am

I believe our members can also rent time at the Minnesota School of Horseshoeing. Not sure of the current price.

We also have an open forge hammer-in at the Now Then threshing grounds coming up soon, June 11th. Check the calendar on the website for details. http://www.metalsmith.org/event/june-hammer-in-2016/ Heat-n-beat until you can't move your arm anymore.

I have found that if I make or repair items for my neighbors and also let them know they can shut me down for whatever reason by simple request, it gives them control over the situation and they are very tolerant. They have never requested I stop, although I try to err on the conservative side and not work while they are outside enjoying a quiet evening, etc. The smell of coal can be resolved by using natural wood lump charcoal, but I find that it gives off many sparks, so that is a consideration for safety. Gas forges don't smell and don't give off sparks.

Not to say fires can't happen, they can and you need to be practical, but blacksmithing is generally safe. I have all my blacksmithing tools (forge, anvil, vise) on wheel and pull them onto the driveway to work. They are next to the garage, but not in it. On a cold rainy day I will use the propane gas forge just inside the garage, but with the door up (it is a huge carbon monoxide source) and can work there.

Chaunce

Unread post by Chaunce » Mon May 16, 2016 8:40 am

Thanks Darryl! Very helpful. I hope other newbies with a similar question find this this thread in the future.

Return to “For Sale / For Trade / Wanted / Business Opportunities/ Auctions”