Fence

selsing

Fence

Unread post by selsing » Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:30 pm

My neighbor has four year old twins and wanted to have a fence to keep them from being able to run onto the street however they didn't want their view blocked. Here is what we came up with. Total length 110 feet with three gates. This was the winter project but we still need to make caps for the poles.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (79.22 KiB) Viewed 1882 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (84.46 KiB) Viewed 1882 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (120.15 KiB) Viewed 1882 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (122.09 KiB) Viewed 1882 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (108.38 KiB) Viewed 1882 times

Martin Pansch

Re: Fence

Unread post by Martin Pansch » Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:34 pm

Nice work Shawn.

Say, what surface finish do you use for your outdoor work? How about your indoor stuff?

selsing

Re: Fence

Unread post by selsing » Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:11 pm

I use just plain old rustoleum paint, gloss black. There was some discussion of powder coating the fence but the cost was to much, $300.00 a panel. I made a fence around my yard at a previous residence and painted it with can paint and it is still standing and strong. My issue is if I hit it with the lawn mower or weed eater or someone scraps against it I can just touch it up with a common paint. If it is powder coated then it will never look the same.

At my old house I would walk the fence each spring and touch up any areas which were scratched and was nothing more than a 30 minute deal.

Some of the plates and candle stands I make I rust and then clear coat. I put the steel in a mix of peroxide, Epsom salt and dead leaves from the fall. I spray enough water on them to make the leaves damp. In a couple days the rust is nice and the leaves create a different tint / texture throughout the piece. I let the piece air dry and spray with three coats of clear coat.

Otherwise the pieces inside are the same paint. If someone buys a painted one then they can paint it whatever color they want.

Return to “Show and Tell”