Knife Handle Decoration Help

wayne.olson

Knife Handle Decoration Help

Unread post by wayne.olson » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:38 pm

Hello. We (my son Jeremy and I) need some help. We are trying to create the look of the gold drippings that is on the cover of the fall 2013 Anvil's Ring, volume 41 #4 for a knife handle. Our intent is not to use gold, but maybe brass, copper, silver solder or something that can give us a drip effect on the handle. I have enclosed a photo as well.
We want to create a similar look and really have no idea of what to do. We have been brazing, soldering and melting old pennies all in vain. Our experimentation has been kind of fun in a way, but has not produced anything close to what we are looking for. Any ideas or thoughts to which directions you can point us would be much appreciated.
Thanks Wayne
Attachments
Anvil's Ring Fall 2013.jpg
Anvil's Ring Fall 2013.jpg (52.06 KiB) Viewed 3083 times

Marty.Hicks

Re: Knife Handle Decoration Help

Unread post by Marty.Hicks » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:25 am

Hmmm, maybe experiment with pouring lead on a slightly inclined plane? If that works try brass or bronze?

s.wood

Unread post by s.wood » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:51 pm

I made some hair pins using brazing rod. I could control the blobs by how close or far my oxy acetelain torch was. I used a jewelers little smith torch but any small tip should work. I worked over an asbestos pad not fire brick. I'll try and attach a picture but I'm new to this forum so not sure it will work.
Attachments
003.JPG
003.JPG (928.35 KiB) Viewed 3056 times

Darryl Ponder

Unread post by Darryl Ponder » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:15 pm

Wayne,

Just a wild guess, but could these be lost wax castings in metal of a candle wax dripping? It looks like the "drips" were of a high viscosity flow, such as you might find in a candle dripping wax onto a cold surface. Maybe the candle drippings were then cast in a metal.

Darryl

Return to “Non-Ferrous Metalworking, Whitesmithing and Jewelry General Discussion Area”