Sterling Silver Padlock

bbutters2004

Sterling Silver Padlock

Unread post by bbutters2004 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:58 am

Hi all....this is my first post as I have only been a lurker in the past. This is my most recent project, a solid silver functioning padlock.

You can see the complete function on this video....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EH6po7nlTpM

I made this lock for a silversmithing contest held last month in Mesa Arizona at High Noon Western Antique Show and Auction. I made it using many traditional skill sets as well as some newer techniques. It covers more disciplines in one project than what I have ever made before.
I spent 10 days working with a friend blacksmith who taught me about the mechanisms. I spent two months building this project.
Thanks for looking!
Attachments
IMG_0966.JPG
IMG_0966.JPG (6.08 MiB) Viewed 4326 times

Darryl Ponder

Re: Sterling Silver Padlock

Unread post by Darryl Ponder » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:33 am

Braidie,

Beautiful work!

Thanks for posting.

Regards,

Darryl

bbutters2004

Unread post by bbutters2004 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:53 pm

Thanks Darryl!

selsing

Unread post by selsing » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:10 pm

That is amazing!

bbutters2004

Unread post by bbutters2004 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:36 pm

Thanks, it was a beast of a project but the most rewarding project I have made to date.

Martin Pansch

Unread post by Martin Pansch » Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:18 pm

Sweet looking lock Braidie! I made a warded lock for my toolbox and am about 2/3 the way through a padlock of similar design to yours, though mine are all steel and minimal decoration. Mine would be more a everyday lock from a few centuries ago while yours would be something the Pope would use to lock up his Popemobile Schwinn. Mind if I bounce a few questions off you?

Did you repousse the front cover or use some other technique to get the hummingbird and flower motif? Beautiful work however you did it especially working the release mechanism into it.

On your shackle it looks like there is a leaf or some feature that covers the gap between the shackle and the lock case. There wasn't a really good shot of it but I am intrigued by it. Is that purely decorative or is it a duplication of a historic design feature to keep the weather (and potential pickers) out? Was this part made separate and soldered on to the shackle or it is all one piece?

Is the spring in it steel? If so how did you temper it? Flash it (i.e. heat until the oil on it hits the flash point)? Oven set to temp? Polish and watch the colors? I have had difficulties consistently getting the right temper on thin springs in the past. Also, if it the spring is steel did you do anything to try to minimize the wear it will inflict on the bolt over time? I am guessing that since this is probably not meant to be put to frequent use it is not a going to be a problem but my over engineering side wants to know?

Did you originally plan to include wards and then something got in the way (e.g. a deadline for the show) or did you always plan to leave it clean?

For the key, did you cast it to rough shape then file it clean? Start with a solid piece and saw/drill/file it into the appropriate shape? Something else? Is it all one piece or multiple pieces soldered together?

Again, great work and thanks for posting it here.

Martin

Return to “Show and Tell”