backyard foundries

ardenhanson

backyard foundries

Unread post by ardenhanson » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:01 am

The Guild is looking at expanding their metal casting department. Our newest member, Tim Hartigan owns St Paul Brass and Aluminum Foundry. He has a lifetime of knowledge in metal casting. He has donated 1500 lbs of casting sand. This sand is reusable over and over many times. This sand allows easier and cheaper mold making and makes backyard casting much simpler. They are also looking at acquiring flasks (mold forms) and the other stuff necessary to pour metal. If casting something in bronze or aluminum peaks your interest contact me 507-279-0443 or any board member. Now the disclaimer....playing with molten metal involves a moderate amount of risk. It would be wise to work with someone who has experience with this activity at least a little before attempting to do it yourself.

pedaltothemetaljess

Re: backyard foundries

Unread post by pedaltothemetaljess » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:44 pm

Hi there, I realize this is quite and outdated post but did anything ever come of this? Can anyone fill me in on what?

Thanks!

Martin Pansch

Re: backyard foundries

Unread post by Martin Pansch » Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:22 pm

Hi Jess,

Arden and a few other folks down around the Mankato area have a group that get together and do some casting. Arden winters out in California so the group's activities sort of taper off during the ice age but should be firing up again. I'm sure when they start spinning up again their will be email traffic on the Bellows or a post on here.

Tim Hartigan did join in late 2014. I don't think he renewed his membership in 2015 but still holds the Guild in high regards and we are still in occasional contact with each other. The casting his company does are more industrial scale from what I understand (he is currently looking for a furnace that will do a 3000lb melt) but he has a lot of casting knowledge and actually comes from an art background. He has been happy to help folks in the past especially when it brings good PR to the casting industry as they are facing a shortage of young folks wanting to get into the industry.

BTW, I love the bicycle portable forge.

Welcome again to the Guild.

Return to “Foundry and Metal Casting General Discussion Area”