Posted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:49 pm
I was at a friend's shop one day last week when one of his regular visitors started talking about an explosion. This got my attention needless to say. Long story short they were pouring Aluminum, after filling the mold the shop owner went to pour the excess into an ingot mold. He has a shelled corn burner near by. The consensus of the group present was there was a kernel or two of corn in the mold. The corn "popped" splattering the 16 foot ceiling with about 20 2 inch diameter aluminum spots still there today. Nobody was seriously injured but the potential was certainly there. It's soooo easy to get cavalier about shop safety, especially when you have done something dozens of times. Must be a lesson in there someplace.