Forged steel circular guardrail and bench seat back combo

handsofhans

Forged steel circular guardrail and bench seat back combo

Unread post by handsofhans » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:00 pm

This is the beginnings of a 7' circular guardrail that will encompass a rock fountain out at the Cross Creek Mall in Wayzata, MN. It will have a slight cone shape to it, and will provide a comfortable back rest and the function of keeping small children from falling into the fountain pool. It must compliment the existing cast iron handrails in the immediate vicinity, which are transplants from the great Metropolitan building.

I have begun forming the top hand rail cap. I first used a ball been top tool in the Little Giant to texture the cap rail, then used a stationary bending fork to bend it to the 3' radius I needed. I forged the 20' of rail in three sections, which was a lot more fun that doing it in one piece. ;) The origin of the fountains base was a simple octagon shaped brick structure. A faux rock water feature was then built in and onto the brick. It was fun to brush up on some simple geometry and layout the octagon which makes up shape of the base that the rail will eventually sit upon.
Attachments
IMG_3824.jpg
Forming of the handrail and checking for accuracy on line.
IMG_3824.jpg (1.19 MiB) Viewed 2744 times
IMG_3816.jpg
Chalk and pencil laid down
IMG_3816.jpg (1019.43 KiB) Viewed 2744 times
IMG_3819.jpg
A little layout brush up
IMG_3819.jpg (943.75 KiB) Viewed 2744 times

handsofhans

Re: Forged steel circular guardrail and bench seat back comb

Unread post by handsofhans » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:09 pm

Here are a couple of shots of the install location. You can see the fountain is not huge. The rail will sit about 24" over the brick surface. Notice the handrails in the background. They are pretty neat.
Attachments
IMG_1003.jpg
IMG_1003.jpg (1.08 MiB) Viewed 2743 times
IMG_0997.jpg
IMG_0997.jpg (1.03 MiB) Viewed 2743 times

handsofhans

Re: Forged steel circular guardrail and bench seat back comb

Unread post by handsofhans » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:37 pm

Here I have made a table style jig to hold the cap rail at 24". I placed three plumb bobs on the inside edge to align with my circle on the ground. Now I can move to the base support ring which will accept all of the verticals or pickets with a lapped and riveted connection. The connection to the cap rail will be a mortise and tenon style with a protruding rivet head on top. I am eager to proceed, but gosh I have a lot of other work to do too!
Attachments
IMG_3883.jpg
IMG_3883.jpg (1.04 MiB) Viewed 2730 times

Return to “Works in Progress”