Widening out the conical end of a hand made coin ring

DLANDINO

Widening out the conical end of a hand made coin ring

Unread post by DLANDINO » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:48 am

I make coin rings, one of the hardest things to do seems to be in the finishing of the ring and making it perfectly round and not tapered on the non-factory end. The process involves driving the coin down a tapered mandril which causes the cone look in the finished product. I am able to stretch them a bit on a doming block and also can lessen the effect by flat filing the cone out too. I would rather keep the entire mass of the silver coin than waste the silver in filings. If anyone has any ideas please let me know. Thanks!

ardenhanson

Re: Widening out the conical end of a hand made coin ring

Unread post by ardenhanson » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:12 am

I'm thinking old style reemers. They have/had a cone on each end and a nut you screwed in to get the exact diameter you wanted. You would need a sleeve over the reemer to prevent marks on the ring. What happens if you put the mandril in from both sides, first one way then the other? There would be a slight V in the middle but not much. Arden

DLANDINO

Unread post by DLANDINO » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:38 am

Thanks! I'll look into that!

Naomi

Unread post by Naomi » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:40 pm

If you are using a tapered ring mandrel, the best way to get it more even is to continually flip it on the mandrel as you are working to form the coin into a ring so that you are stretching both sides evenly. (Well, you will be stretching one side and compressing the other because of how you are forming it.) If the ring is very wide, it may slightly taper toward the center from both sides. They also make and sell stepped ring mandrels which can be used to evenly form a ring at a particular size. Each size has a section that is flat and not tapered. Filing it would be a shame because you would lose detail as well as precious metal.

http://www.riogrande.com/Product/Steppe ... 2370?Pos=1

Naomi

DLANDINO

Unread post by DLANDINO » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:43 pm

Thanks! I'll get that and add it to my tools. I appreciate the help.

Naomi

Unread post by Naomi » Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:13 pm

My pleasure.

Return to “Jewelry”