Tongs

A new area created on 8/7/13. If you have questions, post them here and a Guild member will respond as best we can!
Vasiliyi

Tongs

Unread post by Vasiliyi » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:06 pm

So ive begun asking around to see if anyone has any old blacksmithing tools. I think I have lined up an anvil for a decent price from a co-worker. Ive also began looking at local antique shops and managed to find a pair of blacksmith nippers, so I bought them. Which brings me to ask this question, what kind of tongs to I need to start out with. There seems to be tongs of different ones that I can buy online. Is there a "get it done" tong out there? What should I be looking for? Here is a the pair that I bought.

Jim Ericksen

Re: Tongs

Unread post by Jim Ericksen » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:39 am

there are so many "go to" tongs out there , for me I use bolt and flat tongs more than any other , guess it depends what your planning to do , as you start with basic projects I would suggest avoiding tongs as much as possible (stock long enough to hold by hand) so you can focus on technique and hammer control

the key is finding tongs that are comfortable and feel like an extension of your hand , and of course after you acquire a few basic skills you could forge your own ... personally I have ordered several tongs from GS tongs and plan to order more in the future as Im really happy with the quality and price http://www.gstongs.com/index.html

jim

Darryl Ponder

Unread post by Darryl Ponder » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:21 pm

The first rule of tongs is to make sure that the tongs fit the work you have. You don't want hot iron flopping around.

After some experience you will not be afraid to take a pair of tongs, such as the clippers that you bought, put them in the fire and reshape the jaws to match the work at hand. I do it all the time.

Here are plans from the Anvilfire website (check it out, a good resource) for some simple twist tongs, they call them "easy tongs", that a beginning smith can make:

"Easy Tongs"

Also, the Guild offers a Poz-style tongs class and I happen to be the instructor. We offer this in December/January. Not sure yet of the date this year. See some Poz tongs in my gallery. They are a little more advanced to make, but are designed to hold round, square and flat stock, all with one tong.

Good luck! You will find that not only are you now a blacksmith, but a tongs collector.

Regards,

Darryl

Martin Pansch

Unread post by Martin Pansch » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:59 pm

The Poz Tongs class is scheduled for 7 December.

bbrown

Unread post by bbrown » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:09 am

Here are some very clear directions for making bolt head tongs
I made a pair with an acetalyne torch. First thing I ever forged .

Directions for hollow bit (bolt head)tongs

Bob

Return to “Getting started - Questions and Answers”