Setting up in residential area?

A new area created on 8/7/13. If you have questions, post them here and a Guild member will respond as best we can!
Martin Pansch

Re: Setting up in residential area?

Unread post by Martin Pansch » Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:37 pm

As of last night I hadn't received any checks for the forge class yet so all 6 slots are still open. Usually takes a few days for registrations to start rolling in though. Even if the class doesn't work out for you let me know and I may have a thing or two I can do to help out. I have jumped on plenty of mistake greanades in the past so others won't have to.

Sounds like a lot of work cutting and resizing the drum. I know I would have a tough time keeping the cuts straight if I was to freehand them. And if the the new seam isn't sealed up pretty good cold air (i.e. the stuff not coming from the forge) will infiltrate the line and negatively effect the draw (the air flow pulling the smoke up.)

If it were me, and feel free to tell me to shut up and go lay by my dish, I would see what I could do with HVAC ducting first. I know Darryl Ponder used some rectangular HVAC duct, just cut a little bit out of one side and had a side draft hood and stack in one go. Worked pretty slick. The only caveat would be the ducting is galvanized (i.e. coated in zinc) and you REALLY don't want to breath in zinc fumes. If going that way I would then the first time I used it I would probably get a roaring fire going, leave the blower running, and back off a good distance upwind. Any zinc that is going to burn should burn then leaving you safe using it after that. That said, last time I say Darryl's there was only a small section nearest the firepot that had the dusty white discoloration of zinc that overheated.

If you don't want to pay retail you might be able to scrounge a chunk of it from places getting remodeled, HVAC contractors, etc. Just make sure to ask politely. Often when you bring up blacksmithing people are intrigued enough to help. If they do, make sure to stay on their good side by bringing them some hand forged stuff later as a thank you.

NMcCartney

Unread post by NMcCartney » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:41 pm

I think anything I try doing on my own at this point will take a lot of work, but I'm ok with that. I'll probably forgo other plans I'd made and sign up for the class on friday. Getting a working forge that I know is set up correctly is more important than getting wood to make shields. =p

Would using something like high temperature tape work for sealing the seam on the chute? {http://www.amazon.com/3M-High-Temperatu ... B00004Z4DS} for example. Resistant to 600 degrees and not terribly expensive. Plus it would help me not have to be super concerned with how straight my cuts would be, just as long as they aren't terribly sharp.
"With a book in one hand, and a sword in the other."

john.smith

Unread post by john.smith » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:05 pm

If you have your coal forge indoors, the forge will require a vent to the outdoors that maintains the required clearances to combustible materials (both the forge and vent). The thimble through the wall will need to be rated for the type of wall construction being install through.

I was at a code seminar today, and discussed residential blacksmithing with Les Blackwell, who is the lead mechanical inspector for Minneapolis. He did not see any problems with blacksmithing in a residential area, as long as vent was done correctly and you don't cause noise problems after hours (the lawn mower analogy is a good one.)

He said to have you call him if you have any further question, and if he can't provide the answer, he can get you in contact with the person who can. Les's phone number is (612) 685-8488. His e mail is Les.blackwell@minneapolismn.gov.

NMcCartney

Unread post by NMcCartney » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:36 pm

John, i will be forging outside barring any really severe weather (blizzard, torrential downpour, very high winds, etc). In the future if I happen to get a gas forge I might take it into the garage to do work at night if the hammering can't be heard on the outside. I'll shoot Les an email though to see if he has any suggestions.
"With a book in one hand, and a sword in the other."

Return to “Getting started - Questions and Answers”