Sourcing stumps for metal forming

A new area created on 8/7/13. If you have questions, post them here and a Guild member will respond as best we can!
Calmb4tehpwn

Sourcing stumps for metal forming

Unread post by Calmb4tehpwn » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:06 am

Hey guys.

I may have a line on some metal forming stake tools for armor work, but I want them to be portable, so instead of mounting them on a workbench, I want to mount them on a couple stumps, and since I'm already hunting for stumps already for dishing, it should't be too hard
Except, I don't know where to get some stumps. I've been hoping neighbors would be cutting down some trees with the recent storms, but no such luck.

So where do you source your stumps? Any grand suggestions?

Thank you!

Martin Pansch

Re: Sourcing stumps for metal forming

Unread post by Martin Pansch » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:21 pm

What size logs are you looking for? I'll be taking down a dead elm at some point this summer. It could yield stumps from maybe 3 feet diameter on down.

Otherwise someone in The Guild almost always has stumps they are getting rid of. If you don't get a response here maybe try posting on the Bellows.

Another opinion is that a lot of counties and cities have drop off sites for logs and yard waste. I know Minnetonka's is on Minnetonka Blvd near Big Willow Park. Hennepin County has one next to the soccer fields at Fort Snelling though it isn't open to the public. If you explain what you are after they might let you take a log or two. Best bring your own chainsaw though as they might not be to the length you want.

Calmb4tehpwn

Unread post by Calmb4tehpwn » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:31 pm

Elm would be great! And I'm not that particular about the size. Larger would be better, as I could create more dishing forms in a single log.

Just 2 or 3 logs at about 20 inches high and I would be set.

Do you need help taking the tree down? I would be happy to consider that the cost of the logs.
Let me know when you're planning on taking it down, and I can plan on being out there

KNelson

Unread post by KNelson » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:26 pm

Having spent time splitting elm for firewood in my early years at Historic Fort Snelling 25 years ago, I can vouch for how resistant elm is to splitting! It should be the optimum wood for a dishing or stake stump.

Martin Pansch

Unread post by Martin Pansch » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:20 pm

Some of the blacksmithing books recommend elm as the wood of choice for anvil stumps. And to Keith's point on splitting it, at wood cutting parties I always liked to find a knotty piece of elm crotch wood, slip it into the pile to be split and watch someone's hydraulic splitter groan to a stop. ;)

You are certaining welcome to come out and help but I don't think it is necessary. The farm is filled with mechanical advantage. You could pick your logs though and how long you want them. If you are planning on making them into dishing stumps 20" might be too low unless you are working while sitting on a low stool or have the stump on something else.

Calmb4tehpwn

Unread post by Calmb4tehpwn » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:48 pm

I'm planning on working it while seated. I've measured out about where I want it in my chosen chair, and 20inches is what I've come out to. I plan to set it on something any time I want to work standing.

Return to “Getting started - Questions and Answers”