I thought coal was suppose to burn!

A new area created on 8/7/13. If you have questions, post them here and a Guild member will respond as best we can!
jim dumer

I thought coal was suppose to burn!

Unread post by jim dumer » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:23 pm

I have spent 2 days trying to get my coal to burn. I got some anthracite coal and I can get the fist fire going but when that burns for awhile my fire fades and I cant keep it where I want. I have an electric blower so I have plenty of air the coal is nut size and I cant figure out what I am doing wrong. Do I have the wrong coal? If so were do I get the right stuff . Any help would be appreciated thanks Jim

Darryl Ponder

Re: I thought coal was suppose to burn!

Unread post by Darryl Ponder » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:35 am

Jim,

Can you post a couple of photos of your setup for us to look at? Especially the firepot and blower.

The anthracite should burn, just takes a bit more air and is a bit harder to get going, but you said you can get it burning to start with.

Darryl

jim dumer

Unread post by jim dumer » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:38 pm

3rd day is the charm I was using to much air and trying to keep the fire to small. Way better day today, STEEP learning curve thanks Jim todays project small ballpeen to hachet
Attachments
GEDC0488.JPG
GEDC0488.JPG (3.48 MiB) Viewed 1756 times

Darryl Ponder

Unread post by Darryl Ponder » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:45 pm

That's good news, Jim. Sounds like you got it sorted out.

Thanks for posting a photo of the hatchet.

Regards,

Darryl

Christina

Unread post by Christina » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:05 pm

Jim, you can get bituminous coal through the Guild (one of the privileges of being a member). It's good stuff, burns well, and is located in Ramsey (just West of Anoka) at the MN School of Horseshoeing. Here's the procedure: bring your own buckets, stop in at the office during business hours to introduce yourself, and they will show you the Guild of Metalsmith's Coal Log, which is a 3-ring binder with draw slips and a key to the coal bin. Record your name and contact information. The key will open the padlock on the gate. There's always a shovel there, and usually an official 5-gallon measuring bucket (all buckets are not the same). When you've gotten your coal, make sure you lock the gate, return the key to the binder, record how much coal you've pulled, and take the white copy with you. You'll be sending the white slip with your check to the Guild of Metalsmith's P.O. box. We try to keep pre-addressed envelopes stocked in the front pocket of the binder, but the slip also has the address on it. If getting to the coal pile during normal business hours is not possible, let me know- we'll make other arrangements.

jim dumer

Unread post by jim dumer » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:20 am

Thank You for the information! Jim

Return to “Getting started - Questions and Answers”