A day of playing in the shop

Have a question about blacksmithing? Need some help with a project? Ask here.
Martin Pansch

A day of playing in the shop

Unread post by Martin Pansch » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:47 pm

As John Tuberski, a character in my favorite novel, says: "Lock the door! I am in my element!"
My corner of the shop (640x480).jpg
My corner of the shop (640x480).jpg (208.38 KiB) Viewed 3100 times
Or at least I was yesterday. First time for a while I got to just play around. I knocked out some bottle openers. Mostly a vehicle for playing with twists and finials. Tried several ways of making a Turks heads finial. Finally settled for just hammer and edge of the anvil. Not sure it is the best way but the best of the 4 I tried. If anyone has a technique you like I would love to hear it.
Bottle openers (640x480).jpg
Bottle openers (640x480).jpg (226.16 KiB) Viewed 3100 times
Probably the best part is that they are all made of recycled (upcycled?) steel from a friend's horrible mass produced railing!

Between beating on steel I finished rough grinding on 10 bowl adzes. No photos there. Maybe once I finish heat treating and polishing them.

So between Jim Ericksen stopping by for a few hours and swinging a hammer until my arm was spent it was a good day.

Calmb4tehpwn

Re: A day of playing in the shop

Unread post by Calmb4tehpwn » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:37 pm

Great looking stuff! I might have to start putting finials on my work, instead of scrolls. It would look good on a set of cutlery. Bring high fashion to your camp fork

Martin Pansch

Unread post by Martin Pansch » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:09 pm

Scrolls can be finials too. I think finial is just a fancy word means a decorative feature at the end or top of something. Some scrolls are pretty fancy looking too. Saw plenty of different types trolling the Internet for inspiration before. Maybe we should have a finial and twist theme for show and tell some meeting?

Jim Ericksen

Unread post by Jim Ericksen » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:51 pm

Thanks for confirming the usefulness of the correct tool by letting me swing by and make a few wine glass holders , that swage block made easy work of the bigger holes , hopefully I can share pics of my new hole making device soon ( waiting on the machine center at work )

Jim
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.17 MiB) Viewed 3043 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.75 MiB) Viewed 3043 times

Return to “Blacksmithing General Discussion Area”