buying some coke in ettrick, wi.

Have a question about blacksmithing? Need some help with a project? Ask here.
mn outdoors north

buying some coke in ettrick, wi.

Unread post by mn outdoors north » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:03 am

Hello all, I am headed to lacrosse, wi. to pick up a collector tractor as I collect and restore them...on my way I am going to pick up some coke a guy sells in Ettrick, wi. for 20.00 a bushel or 8 gal. anyone ever used this or bought from him...have not got his name yet but I found him on craigslist...I here it is really good for forging....little smoke, no dust, burns clean and hot... not sure if that is a good price or not...and no, you or I cannot make it he claims, at the stuff he has...going to try and bring back a few hundred pounds.

thanks in advance,
Gary

Martin Pansch

Re: buying some coke in ettrick, wi.

Unread post by Martin Pansch » Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:54 pm

Hi Gary.

I have never used forging coke myself but I know it is popular in England and with a number of other folks in this country. As you say burns clean with no/little smoke. Since the impurities are burned out it is less dense and so should have more BTUs per pound than coal.

There will be a bit of a learning curve as always when switching to a new fuel. You have to keep a constant blast of air on it our it will go out so if you only have a hand crank blower it might be inconvenient.

Every time you light a fire with green coal and it cooks until there is no more smoke you are "coking" it. So while you are making coke you would need a level of atmospheric and temperature control we generally don't have on our scale to make it as efficiently as an industrial operation. Sort of like the difference between making charcoal in a camp fire versus making large batches of lump charcoal.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

mn outdoors north

Unread post by mn outdoors north » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:38 pm

ok thanks, I guess I never thought about the hand crank blower thing....I will have to think about that...also I had a question on forges...I am thinking of ordering a new forge and hand crank blower from centaur forge...they are kind of spendy but I am tired of my hand crank blower is just way too stiff...take a look and see what you guys and gals think...I can make my own hood I believe and as far as that goes make the table, I just want to start with good equipment...how many of you prefer the electric with a rheostat control? I have a good table but the pot is shot...I think the Vulcan is a good firepot unit from what I here...1000.00 is a lot but I think as a new customer I get 10% off...:) lol... and free ship... not sure what to do at this point...I may never get my money back but it is a hobby right...here is the pic....btw martin do you still have some room for the bottle opener class? I will send some money pronto if you do...more so I just want to see your setup...I think I can learn a thing or two from it... http://www.centaurforge.com/Centaur-24- ... nfo/SVDHC/

thanks,
Gary

Jim Ericksen

Unread post by Jim Ericksen » Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:18 pm

I would suggest holding off on that forge set up , 1k is a pretty big price especially in our area

There will likely be a few in the tailgate area at the fall conference more reasonably priced if you can make it there, if not word will likely spread quickly about someone looking that is willing to pay a fair price

I haven't heard that the opener class is full yet but I will let Martin confirm that

Jim

mn outdoors north

Unread post by mn outdoors north » Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:22 pm

ok thanks jim, yes I can make the conference....for at least 1 day...

Gary

Martin Pansch

Unread post by Martin Pansch » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:10 pm

I would also suggest holding off on buying that set up but then I am frugal (read: cheap) and have all the tools and steel I need to make forges and fire pots. There are often a forge or two for sale at the Madness and others around if you look. That is if you need a whole new forge.

You say you have a good forge top but the firepot is shot? It would be easy enough for us to knock out a plate steel fire pot to fit it. For electric blowers I have a bunch of fans I bought at LeSueur this spring to use for forge blowers and I could pass one on to you for cost. For my forges I like to build the tuyere with both a hand crank and electric blower on it with a simple flapper valve on it to automatically switch from one to the other. I don't use a rheostat on mine because you generally need a better one than the cheapo dial ones from the box store. Instead I just have an $0.49 on/off switch and put an air gate on the intake of the fan. Honestly though, I seldom adjust the air on the electric blower. I just run it flat out most the time and if I need more finesse I use the hand crank blower.

If you are looking for a new hand crank blower I recently got a line on someone who may be looking to sell several good ones in the near future. I can let you know when that develops more.

Have you tried taking yours apart and to figure out why it is turning slow? A lot of the old ones I have picked up have been either rusted up or the oil in the gears solidified into a thick gunk.

If the issue is thick grease disassembling as far as you can without damaging it, poor/scrape out what you can, and using an aerosol of engine cleaner spray to get out whatever you can will usually make it turn a lot better. Make sure to lube your blower well too. I use hydraulic fluid but chainsaw bar oil or ATF should work too. Many brands of blowers will slowly weep oil (not fast enough to see but will leave a damp oily spot) if lubed correctly. If you get a Cannedy Otto Royal though, the gold standard in my opinion, no leaking.

The issue shouldn't be rust if you have been using and oiling it. If it is rusty though cleaning it should be self evident.

There is still plenty of room in the bottle opener class still. Of course, if you just want to see my set up you don't have to sign up for the class for that but I think we are going to have a good time making bottle openers so don't let me discourage you. ;) If you bring your forge and/or blower we can look at those and see what's what if you like.

mn outdoors north

Unread post by mn outdoors north » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:33 pm

thanks so much martin, that is exactly what I am looking for, hand over electric... I will send my money in mon. then look at blower...I have 2 of them...I will bring it to the class and my forge, then you can tell me in your professional opinion what will work best for me...I have had too many projects on my plate for the last year since I took the course last oct. have not even tried my forge yet or hit some steel as I am embarrassed to say...I will get there this fall when I am done logging 200 acres at the cabin....thanks for all your help... good to have you somewhat close to me...I have a few friends in nya.

Gary

Return to “Blacksmithing General Discussion Area”