Old lamps

The is the place to have non-metalworking discussions.
Darryl Ponder

Old lamps

Unread post by Darryl Ponder » Mon May 13, 2013 8:59 pm

Another small time hobby I have is antique lamps from the 1800s through the early 1900s. For some unexplained reason I like the very understandable march of technology from the Betty lamp through the Coleman pressurized lantern. A simple container of thick oil or fat with a wick for millenia, then fairly rapidly flat wicks, multiple wicks (thanks Ben Franklin), round wicks, round wicks with mantles (thanks to Carl Auer von Welsbach see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Auer_von_Welsbach) and Aladdin lamp company among others, then pressurized lamps with mantles, then electricity!

Here is a poor photo of a "new" Rayo lamp (copyright Standard Oil Co.), circa 1910, that I just acquired on a recent trip South. Picked it up in Killeen, TX. Old and nasty, a days labor and it is reasonably polished again. It is an old Rayo center draft round wick lamp, made under contract by Bradley & Hubbard Mfg. Co., in Meriden, CT for John D Rockefeller and the Standard Oil company so he had a use for all that kerosene he owned and wanted to sell at a tidy profit. The photo is entirely lit by the Rayo (and in the upper right you can see the lowly Betty lamp trying to keep up!).
20130513_213732.jpg
Rayo lamp and Betty Lamp
20130513_213732.jpg (1.76 MiB) Viewed 3541 times

brianK0BDD

Re: Old lamps

Unread post by brianK0BDD » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:47 am

That looks similar to a Plume and Atwood table lamp I picked up at an estate sale a while ago...
Took a little work to get the workings broken free, added some oil and fired it up. I haven't polished it yet... I kind of like the patina it has.
The center draft lamps throw an impressive amount of light compared to flat wick lamps.

Brian

Darryl Ponder

Re: Old lamps

Unread post by Darryl Ponder » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:14 pm

Brian,

Post a picture of your lamp when you can. I'd like to see it.

I have several Aladdin mantle lamps and a couple of older flat wick styles. Only the one center draft so far.

Oh, and the one Betty lamp that I made.

Regards,

Darryl

Return to “General Discussion”