Vote on your next chainmail class

The is the place to have non-metalworking discussions.
Calmb4tehpwn

Vote on your next chainmail class

Unread post by Calmb4tehpwn » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:02 pm

Hey guys, I'd like to put a series of chainmail classes on the schedule, but I'd like to know what potential students are interested in learning.

The classes: Armor, and Jewlery.

Overview:
Armor - learning the basics of coiling wire, cutting rings, flattening, and riveting your own domed rivetted chainmail. The focus of this class is making your chainmail from scratch, only learning the basic armor weave Euro 4in1

Jewelry -
Using premade butted rings, this class will focus on understanding the principles of chainmail. Learning how aspect ratio effects your work, and learning several families of weaves and how they are related.

What it boils down to, while both classes will be very hands on, Armor class will gives you hands on experience making chainmail from scratch, Jewelry will teach the book knowledge, and techniques for more intricate and in depth work.

dkaschner

Re: Vote on your next chainmail class

Unread post by dkaschner » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:08 pm

Wow, I would be sooooo interested in a class on riveted chain.

Right now I wear a set of my son Christopher's butted chain to the Renaissance Fair every year in his memory. Always wanted to make him a set of riveted chain. He would have gone gaga over that. :-)

Don't know how you treat your chain, but I have been cold rust bluing Chris' followed by a light oiling (very light) at the beginning of each season. Very pleased with the results.

Anyway, one vote for the 'armor' class.

Dan

Return to “General Discussion”