Terminology clarification please

NMcCartney

Terminology clarification please

Unread post by NMcCartney » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:55 am

I've been going through some of the books I have to get myself ready to start forging once I get the actual forge itself and I'm noticing that the terms tempering, annealing, and hardening, seem to get interchanged depending on the book I'm looking at. Anyone know which term is generally more accurate?
"With a book in one hand, and a sword in the other."

Jim Moenck

Re: Terminology clarification please

Unread post by Jim Moenck » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:57 am

Tempering, annealing and hardening are 3 separate processes in the heat treat process, and each serves a purpose. Annealing is making the steel into it softest state so it can be worked; drilled, ground, etc. Hardening makes the steel just that: hard. If left in this state it is very brittle, and easily breaks when struck or dropped. Tempering in the process which makes the steel less brittle and very useable. The steel is brought up to a determined temperature for a certain period of time. Each steel is different, so one needs to know what the steel is for proper heat treating. Proper heat treating can be as complex or as simple as you want to make it. But the closer you get to the "recipe" the better your steel will perform.

NMcCartney

Re: Terminology clarification please

Unread post by NMcCartney » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:50 am

Ah I gotcha. Thanks a lot. =)
"With a book in one hand, and a sword in the other."

Return to “Heat Treating”