Hacksaw - Work in Progress

Martin Pansch

Hacksaw - Work in Progress

Unread post by Martin Pansch » Mon May 19, 2014 6:07 pm

Since the next Guild meeting is only a few weeks away I figure I better get going on making my tool for the Iron in the Hat. I went with a hacksaw. I figured I would post some work in progress shots here.
hacksaw laid out.jpg
Reference marks punched into the starting piece of 1 1/4" x 1/2" x 9" stock.
hacksaw laid out.jpg (174.5 KiB) Viewed 4341 times
hacksaw slit made.jpg
The back arm is hot cut off the parent stock.
hacksaw slit made.jpg (129.31 KiB) Viewed 4341 times
Hacksaw draw out.jpg
The long arm is drawn out. The tire hammer with drawing dies made short work of it.
Hacksaw draw out.jpg (158.31 KiB) Viewed 4341 times
hacksaw end squared off.jpg
Squaring off and upsetting the end.
hacksaw end squared off.jpg (164.07 KiB) Viewed 4341 times
hacksaw necked down and tang mostly drawn.jpg
Transition between saw and handle forged and tang drawn out mostly.
hacksaw necked down and tang mostly drawn.jpg (153.81 KiB) Viewed 4341 times
Then I had to pause to make another tool to hold it in the vise without damaging it. Since I was at a pause point I figured I would come in for a snack. Now, to paraphrase Henry V, "Once more into the forge dear friends, once more or close the gap up with our blacksmith dead."

More later as I progress.

Martin

Martin Pansch

Re: Hacksaw - Work in Progress

Unread post by Martin Pansch » Mon May 19, 2014 9:58 pm

I worked on a few more things after my snack.

hacksaw wingnut take 2.jpg
Rough forging of the tensioning wing nut still on the bar.
hacksaw wingnut take 2.jpg (144.87 KiB) Viewed 4337 times
It took me two tries on the wing nut to get it the full 3/4" round at the base.
hacksaw tensioning bolt and wingnut rough forged.jpg
Rough forging of a tensioning wing nut and bolt with finished examples.
hacksaw tensioning bolt and wingnut rough forged.jpg (160.94 KiB) Viewed 4337 times
I left a lot of extra metal on the tensioning bolt at this point. Until I drill and drift the box at the end of the long arm. I want to make sure I didn't forge it too small.
hacksaw body short arm and bolster forged.jpg
Bolster upset and butchered. Short arm roughly bent into shape.
hacksaw body short arm and bolster forged.jpg (155.71 KiB) Viewed 4337 times
I used a butcher to try to push more material into the bolster and level the bottom of it as much as I could before having to use a file. I then undid the convenience bend of the short arm. I will probably need to tweak it a little more after bending the long arm so it will fit a 10" hacksaw blade.

Most of the hot work is done. Maybe another hour or so at the forge not counting burning in the tang into the handle (which I still need to turn).

Martin Pansch

Unread post by Martin Pansch » Sat May 24, 2014 10:06 pm

Got a late start today but got a little done. I started out by turning a couple handles. I couldn't decide between maple or walnut so I made one of each.
Ready to turn handle.JPG
Maple chucked and ready to turn.
Ready to turn handle.JPG (107.21 KiB) Viewed 4313 times
I used a couple small slices of 3/4" copper pipe for ferrules
Maple handle done with copper ferrule.JPG
Maple handle done.
Maple handle done with copper ferrule.JPG (96.02 KiB) Viewed 4313 times
Walnut handle with copper ferrule.JPG
Walnut handle done.
Walnut handle with copper ferrule.JPG (113.85 KiB) Viewed 4313 times
Still not sure which I am going to use. My brother's both like the walnut.
Hacksaw frame hot work done with parts.JPG
Hacksaw frame hot work done with parts.JPG (111.8 KiB) Viewed 4313 times
I have almost all the hot work done. I drilled and drifted the box on the front of the saw for the tensioning bolt to fit in. I also drilled the thumb screw to tap. I still have to burn the tang into the handle at some point. I'll probably also swage the tensioning bolt down to dimension versus filing it round. The saw and the wing nut are in the pickle so I can do the file work tomorrow. Hopefully all will be done by the end of the weekend.

Marty.Hicks

Unread post by Marty.Hicks » Sun May 25, 2014 7:34 pm

Nice!

Martin Pansch

Unread post by Martin Pansch » Tue May 27, 2014 11:29 pm

Got out in the shop for a few hours after work.
Test fit of blade resized.jpg
Wing nut taped, bolt threaded, slits for blade cut and blade test fit.
Test fit of blade resized.jpg (173.29 KiB) Viewed 4281 times
In this test fit I wasn't quite happy with the way the tensioning bolt was aligned once it was tightened. It pointed down a little. Wouldn't have effected it's function but I wasn't happy with it. A couple minutes in the gas forge and a little tweak and it was all good.
Start of burning handle resized.jpg
Burning the tang into the handle. First fire shoots out.
Start of burning handle resized.jpg (108.4 KiB) Viewed 4281 times
If you have never burned a handle in it is sort of fun. You pre drill a hole a little undersized, heat the tang up to orange and push the handle onto it. There is a little gout of flame...
Burning handle continues smoking resized.jpg
Then smoke...
Burning handle continues smoking resized.jpg (114.44 KiB) Viewed 4281 times
And then a lot of smoke. You don't want to leave it on too long and let the wood char too much. If it does the wood will be charcoal and start to crumble over time making a loose handle. You also don't want to burn the handle all the way to the bolster. Leave 3/8" to 1/2" shy. When you permanently attach the handle you'll drive it on the rest the way and peen the tang over a washer of some sort. Should get you a really tight fit handle. Sorry about the poor quality photos. iPhone in one hand and smoking wood in the other. I was trying not to mess anything up (especially me).
Handle burned on and box adjusted resized.jpg
Almost looking like a hacksaw...
Handle burned on and box adjusted resized.jpg (137.55 KiB) Viewed 4281 times
Handle sitting in place and you can see the tensioning bolt is a little more in line with the blade. I would just have to set the handle to make it functional. Now it is just a matter of how much time I have to try to make it pretty. I have to say this saw is turning out better than mine. I might even put a new blade on it. ;) Still a couple things to improve though. I'll have to make another after this as I haven't learned everything I can from this.

Take care.

bbrown

Unread post by bbrown » Wed May 28, 2014 9:02 am

Wow, That is turning out beautiful!
Would like to see one in the Madness auction.
Bob

Martin Pansch

Unread post by Martin Pansch » Wed May 28, 2014 8:43 pm

We'll see if I have the time before September to pull off another one. I am betting that with "Pansch" stamped on it we wouldn't get much for it in the auction. Now if it had "Brown" stamped on it that would give it real cachet. ;)

I was thinking of making another coal forge for the auction. They seem to bring in much more than anything else I have entered. Oh, that and a fork for the contest of course. I just have to decide which twisted fork idea I want to try to translate to metal.

Jeff Van de Walker

Unread post by Jeff Van de Walker » Thu May 29, 2014 9:55 am

Looks great, very nice work! Thanks for the blow by blow shots they really help describe the process. I'll have to give the handle burn in a try.
-Jeff

Martin Pansch

Unread post by Martin Pansch » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:37 pm

Sunday after drill I was working on fitting the walnut handle. I noticed it had a few cracks in it. It probably would have held but I couldn't bring myself to go forward with it. Luckily I had a spare maple one. Well, I got a little impatient with that one and cracked a small part off it. So last night I turned a third and fit it. I think the it is rosewood but I don't know for sure. It is from a box of pool cue blanks with flaws my dad acquired long ago. Anyway I am sort of glad in hind sight that the first two failed as I like this one better, both the shape and the finish.
Hacksaw pretty much done.JPG
File finished and handle set
Hacksaw pretty much done.JPG (129.37 KiB) Viewed 4217 times
I wish I had a little more time to do some wire inlay or decorative file work on it. I probably won't have time tomorrow night and I always have a brain freeze when it comes to figuring out decoration. Whomever gets it is going to have to be satisfied with a solid but plain tool. They can decorate it themselves if they want.

This is my second hacksaw and I learned bunch more. I may have to do like Bob suggests and make another for the Madness since there is a few other things I would like to try next time to make it quicker and better results.

Return to “Tools and Toolings”