what type a bender do you guys use...

mn outdoors north

what type a bender do you guys use...

Unread post by mn outdoors north » Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:30 pm

i,am looking for a quality bender, hot or cold...i want to do a lot of scroll work...i have looked at 15 benders on you tube...what benders do you guys or gals recommend...look at beecher bender, my budget is about 300.00
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9j5BRozmaFo

thanks,
Gary

mn outdoors north

Re: what type a bender do you guys use...

Unread post by mn outdoors north » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:12 pm

well I guess nobody has a bender...odd...thought maybe you fellows would...a lot of views and no replys... well, when I get one I will let you know how it works...

Gary

Martin Pansch

Unread post by Martin Pansch » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:17 pm

Hi Gary.

I know we have members that have Hossfeld benders. I have seen them in several shops. They just aren't the kind on guys who post on web forums. Or even read them.

I have thought about benders before but the only way I could ever justify it is if I was doing -a lot- (read hundred of bends) of fabrication with tube, etc. If I had a blacksmithing project where I had to replicate a certain scroll a lot I would probably just make a scrolling jig for it. a That would be if I had to a dozen or more that all had to match pretty close. Fewer than that I would just freehand to a chalk drawing using a pair of scrolling tongs for the final tweaks to match it. It is pretty slow when you first start but after a little practice you can get pretty good consistency pretty fast. I think it lets you make better looking, more organic scrolls than many benders, with practice of course.

If I was going to buy a bender it would probably be a Hossfeld. They are a local company and a lot of the other benders are knock offs of their innovations. Though I don't think you are going to find a new Hossfeld within your stated price limit. They come up in auctions sometimes though

Good luck. Let us know what you go with and how it works out.

mn outdoors north

Unread post by mn outdoors north » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:07 pm

ok thanks, I was wondering about the responses...I am on 5 different forums, scuba diving, metal detecting, gravely tractors, banjo forum...I usually get 30 posts within one day...I know why now, like you said, some do not post...also blacksmithing is not the most popular trade to my other interests...do not get me wrong, I love it but the numbers are just not there...I love it though...also trying to get hold of Darrell ponder...he lives by me..i did have his number but misplaced it...I sent him a pm but no go....I am sure he will respond...still trying to get my shop setup...have a few questions...

thanks,
Gary
Martin Pansch wrote:Hi Gary.

I know we have members that have Hossfeld benders. I have seen them in several shops. They just aren't the kind on guys who post on web forums. Or even read them.

I have thought about benders before but the only way I could ever justify it is if I was doing -a lot- (read hundred of bends) of fabrication with tube, etc. If I had a blacksmithing project where I had to replicate a certain scroll a lot I would probably just make a scrolling jig for it. a That would be if I had to a dozen or more that all had to match pretty close. Fewer than that I would just freehand to a chalk drawing using a pair of scrolling tongs for the final tweaks to match it. It is pretty slow when you first start but after a little practice you can get pretty good consistency pretty fast. I think it lets you make better looking, more organic scrolls than many benders, with practice of course.

If I was going to buy a bender it would probably be a Hossfeld. They are a local company and a lot of the other benders are knock offs of their innovations. Though I don't think you are going to find a new Hossfeld within your stated price limit. They come up in auctions sometimes though

Good luck. Let us know what you go with and how it works out.

Return to “Tools and Toolings”