Purchasing Coal

How to acquire your first forge and anvil. Where to get tools. Where to get steel. First steps. Next steps. Lessons.
Lhilton

Purchasing Coal

Unread post by Lhilton » Tue May 21, 2013 12:15 pm

Is there a preferred procedure for purchasing coal at the MN school of Horseshoing? Any information on contacts, times, cost ect. would be appreciated. Thanks
Last edited by Lhilton on Tue May 28, 2013 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Martin Pansch

Re: Purchasing Coal

Unread post by Martin Pansch » Tue May 21, 2013 6:47 pm

Yep. Though it isn't really codified.

First, and most important, you join the Guild. Only Guild members are supposed to be able to buy coal from the pile. Another privilege of membership.

Next, go to the School of Horseshoing when it is open. Their website doesn't have hours posted but the contact number there is (763) 427-5850. Most the time they are teaching classes Monday through Thursday and are out in the field on Fridays though I think the store side might still be open on Fridays. Another option is on weekend days when there is a Guild class being taught but if you chose then DO NOT DISTURB THE CLASS.

Once you are in locate one of the coal books. These are just 3-ring binders with a running log of coal purchases. If the store is open you can ask Nancy or whomever is there for the book. If you are there during a Guild class one of the instructors can show you where we keep the other in our tool cabinet. The book on the store side has a key to the bin in it. The book that is kept with the Guild tools does not but one of the instructors can get the key out of the lock box for you.

Once you have the key go outside, unlock the bin and get your coal. Use the Guild 5 gallon bucket there for measuring it out.

When you are done LOCK THE BIN (some people have a problem with that step), return the key to where you got it, and enter into the book your information (e.g. name, address, amount of coal taken, etc). Also in the book are little invoices. Take on of these, record your information, the amount of coal taken, the amount owed and send this with your check in to the Guild. The address is on the invoice. Send your check right away. Some people forget if they don't do it right away.

I believe the price is currently $7.00 a bucket.

I think that is it but I am sure someone will correct me if I have left something out or misrepresented.

Phillip5505

Unread post by Phillip5505 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:19 am

Can someone tell me what the current coal price is from the guild? I am going to make a coal run on Saturday. Is there any way that i would be able to pay for coal on site?

Thanks for the help
Phil

Martin Pansch

Unread post by Martin Pansch » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:35 pm

Hi Phil

It is still $7 per 5-gallon bucket.

Payment needs to be sent to the Guild. There is a ledger book that you can get a carbon copy receipt from and should be envelopes pre-addressed to The Guild. Other then a stamp it is as easy as can be thanks to Larry and Christina.

Return to “Beginner's Corner”