Morovian style hinges

Martin Pansch

Morovian style hinges

Unread post by Martin Pansch » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:34 pm

For the live auction at the conference Al Olson made a sturdy wooden tool box and I got to make the hinges, hasp and bale handles. I took some in-process shots of the tops of the hinges and figured I would share them here.
Morovian hinge design.JPG
Morovian hinge design.JPG (2.29 MiB) Viewed 3012 times
This is the design I came up with. It is similar to Morovian style hinge I found in the Sorber Collection book.
Morovian hinge tops split.JPG
Morovian hinge tops split.JPG (2.48 MiB) Viewed 3012 times
After some quick napkin math I split about 3 1/4" of a 1 1/4" by 1/8" stock . I drew each leg out leaving a little bump of steel for each of the two little horns I planned to split off. These little bumps are sort of half-tear drop shaped. Since I was more concerned with the overall design than exact dimensions of the hinge as long as they were the same and were no more than 2" wide when finished to fit the toolbox.
Morovian hinge one side forged.JPG
Morovian hinge one side forged.JPG (2.24 MiB) Viewed 3012 times
I then turned and welded the barrel, finished splitting the little horns, and roughly shaped the first side of the hinge.
Morovian hinge tops shaped.JPG
Morovian hinge tops shaped.JPG (2.25 MiB) Viewed 3012 times
I shaped the second side of the hinge and went back to tweak the other side getting them to match and to fit within the 2" strip it was going to have to mount on.
Morovian hinge tops and bottoms.JPG
Morovian hinge tops and bottoms.JPG (2.29 MiB) Viewed 3012 times
Then I just had to make the other one to match. Here they are with the bottoms sitting next to them. The only thing remaining at this point was to cut and fit the barrels of the tops and bottoms.

I'll probably be doing a little demonstrating of hinges at the October meeting at the Jackson Street Roundhouse. Otherwise if you have any questions feel free to ask. I am by no stretch an expert but will help if I can.

Martin

Darryl Ponder

Re: Morovian style hinges

Unread post by Darryl Ponder » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:47 am

Martin,

Very nice work!

When making the bends for the horns, did you start with a hammer over the edge of the anvil or the bick and then finish with scroll tongs?

The symmetry is almost perfect. I assume you were bending to a pattern marked down on a surface?

Darryl

Martin Pansch

Re: Morovian style hinges

Unread post by Martin Pansch » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:37 pm

Thanks Darryl. I am actually pleased with how this came out (an unusual occurance for me).

After splitting the little horns I used the hardie to start prying them away from the main branch. I used the scrolling tongs a little after that to bend them out a little more from there but almost all the shaping of the hinges were done over the horn of the anvil with a very light (12 oz?) crosspeen.

I didn't chalk the pattern onto a steel surface. For the first half of the first hinge I held it over the paper drawing I had a few times to get the curves close. Once the first side was done I eyeballed the second one to get a match. The second hinge I was able to hold up against the first without worry of burning anything up. Most the symmetry was do to good luck and a few extra heats of futzing with them. It ended up being a little off my drawing but as I said I wasn't hung up on it being exactly as drawn.

Return to “Projects: Photos and Descriptions”