Quench tanks

Dan Rasmussen

Quench tanks

Unread post by Dan Rasmussen » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:35 pm

Winter is almost here and with that a quench tank in a unheated shop tends to freeze up. What do some of you use to keep them from freezing. Have used a brine in the past but now i am using an aluminum tank (old beer keg) for a tank. Don't think a brine should be used with aluminum.

Jim Moenck

Re: Quench tanks

Unread post by Jim Moenck » Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:40 pm

Dan, my shop is also not heated in the forging area. I don't even try to keep the quench bucket from freezing, I just empty it each day and refill it again when I start the next time.

Jim Moenck

Unread post by Jim Moenck » Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:40 pm

Dan, my shop is also not heated in the forging area. I don't even try to keep the quench bucket from freezing, I just empty it each day and refill it again when I start the next time.

Martin Pansch

Unread post by Martin Pansch » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:53 pm

Dan,

I use the same method as Jim, fresh bucket each session, mostly because I am cheap.

With your work with horses I am sure you have considered the electric stock thank heaters or any number of other electric heater options (heat tape, magnetic oil pan heater on the outside of the tank, etched). Going from a froze hard tank to liquid would probably take a while and leaving it plugged in all the time for as infrequently as I forge in the winter seems wasteful.

Some folks have used RV antifreeze in their slack tub. If you get one that is all just propylene glycol you will "probably" be fine. The MSDS give practically no health or reactivity issues and minimal flammability issues (auto-ignition temp is almost 700 degrees for pure propylene glycol and it will be significantly dilluted). There are some brands that mix other chemicals in so buyer beware.

All that said though, I still just fill up a fresh bucket each time.

Dan Rasmussen

Unread post by Dan Rasmussen » Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:06 pm

Thanks guys sort of figured that would be the way to go.. Just thought there my be another solution to the problem.

Return to “Projects: Photos and Descriptions”