A beautiful score, but I need help from the guild

Calmb4tehpwn

A beautiful score, but I need help from the guild

Unread post by Calmb4tehpwn » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:43 pm

Hey group!

I had a once in a lifetime opportunity. I made a partial trade of one of my anvils for a Helve Hammer. It's a 1917 Mayer Bro's hammer, and has been beautifully taken care of. Someone before me did all of the work of cleaning all of the parts and priming them. The problem is that I am not a mechanic, and have zero trip hammer building experience. It's clearly mostly there, and everything is beautifully pristine, but I know I'm missing a piece or two.

I have read that some parts from the Mayer Bros Helve Hammer are interchangeable with the little giant power hammers, so I am hoping someone with experience of putting power hammers together can take a look and advise me on what I need to do to get this thing operational

I'm not looking for anyone to do this for me, I really want to get my hands dirty, but I really just don't know what I need to acquire or make to get it going.

I can't find any manuals or owners guides online, so I don't have a parts list or anything. Any advice is welcome. I hope someone has an idea on what I can do here!

Cheers
Michael

Martin Pansch

Re: A beautiful score, but I need help from the guild

Unread post by Martin Pansch » Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:44 pm

Hi Michael,

What, you don't like jigsaw puzzles without knowing what the picture looks like?

I would probably ask either Pete Stanitis, Dick Carlson, Myron Hanson, or Charlie Bateman about it first. I know someone had a similar little helve hammer at Little Log House several years ago.

You could also check with Little Giant in Nebraska. The Meyer brothers started Little Giant way back when so Sid, or whomever owns LG now, might have some info on it.

When I get home I can check my copy of Pounding Out The Profits when I get home and see if there are any good drawings of a Meyer helve in there for you.

Martin

Calmb4tehpwn

Unread post by Calmb4tehpwn » Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:15 pm

Thanks Martin!

I already have an email out to Little Giant, asking if they have any documentation.
As far as I can tell, I've worked the jigsaw out, I'm just missing a piece.

Let me try to explain as best as I can without knowing the terminology. The wheel that is driven by a flat belt is in place, and the foot pedal attaches to a yoke of some sort, which I assume is the housing of a clutch. Press the pedal, and the turning flat belt wheel should engage the shaft and the whole thing should do that thing for which it was built. But I don't have a clutch, as far as I can tell, just a clutch housing. The part of the clutch that sits around the shaft (too big by several inches) and connects to the foot pedal.

I was given a number of extra bolts and bits that may or may not actually belong to the hammer, but the missing key seems to be the bit that engages the shaft by pressing down on the foot pedal. I mean, we also don't have a motor, but that should be an easy enough fix.

I will take some pictures in the next couple of hours and both show off my prize, and explain my predicament

mn outdoors north

Unread post by mn outdoors north » Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:48 pm

Nice haull..I saw that one when it was first posted in milleville I think.I was going to jump on it but then I already have one and did not need two...I am in tha same boat as you but mine us ready to go..yours was run off a line shaft I believe...mine is a 1904 mayer bros. I start my blacksmith classes next sat. I also received a lot of info from nebraska and the historian...
I also picked up a very nice forge that came with tools ant an auction today
Good luck
Gary
Attachments
20150926_184246.jpg
20150926_184246.jpg (1.94 MiB) Viewed 4212 times

Calmb4tehpwn

Unread post by Calmb4tehpwn » Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:35 pm

Hey Gary!

It's crazy that so many of these are cropping up! I haven't seen any of these before a week ago.
When you say "ready to go" you mean it's hooked up to a motor and running, or that it's just all put together?

Either way, I would love the opportunity to come out to your shop and take a look (and some pictures) of the complete machine. Where are you located?

Feel free to email me at phoenixcreations@hotmail.com
Cheers!
Michael

Martin Pansch

Unread post by Martin Pansch » Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:12 pm

I checked Pounding Out The Profits. There is one drawing of the Mayer Brother's Model E Easy Helve Hammer but is it small enough and at a front oblique angle so it probably isn't going to help much.

There are some interesting tidbits about the hammer though. Looks like they were made from 1902-1919 during which time 395 of them were sold. Apparently a large number of them remained in inventory after them. They weren't as popular as the Little Giants. The Helve was 200 pound and $10 more than the 25lb Little Giant.

One thing that might be useful, it looks like a patent for some part of the construction was denied but the book suggests this might be as it was very similar to the patent awarded to Davidson and Strite in May 13, 1902. You might be able to Google up the Davidson and Strite patent and get some info off it.

Martin

Calmb4tehpwn

Unread post by Calmb4tehpwn » Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:57 pm

I found the patent in question.
https://www.google.com/patents/US739992

Sounds like this patent is dealing with what they're calling a "pitmen" which is the cushioned piece that actually lifts and drops the arm. My pitmen is intact and clean, so I have no intention of pulling it apart, but it looks like that patent will be very useful if I ever need to service it.

Thanks for looking it up, Martin!

Return to “Little Giant”