Smartflix "how-to" DVD rental service

Darryl Ponder

Smartflix "how-to" DVD rental service

Unread post by Darryl Ponder » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:01 am

Thought I would put this post in the video section as a resource as I was unaware such a service existed. Smartflix is a DVD "how-to" rental service like the old DVD based Netflix, but with a focus on educational DVDs. They cover many topics including subjects near and dear to Guild members such as blacksmithing, machining, sheet metal, knifemaking, welding, surface treatments and the like.

http://smartflix.com

After asking our members, it seems several of the Guild's members have used the service and it has worked well for them. I have a DVD on order and will update this post later with my personal experience using the Smartflix rental service.

Regards,

Darryl

Darryl Ponder

Problems with Smartflix "how-to" DVD rental service - a review of my experience

Unread post by Darryl Ponder » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:50 pm

Having now used the service my feelings are certainly mixed.

I ordered a DVD for rental on Tuesday December 9th and, while their computer system said it was in stock, they did not ship out the rental DVD until Wednesday December 17th, over a week after I placed the order. The DVD arrived on Monday December 26th.

When I tried to contact Smartflix on Wednesday the 17th about the late shipment, I received a form email stating that they replied to all customer service request emails within two business days. I never received a response. Having sent them three emails now, I have received three form emails stating they respond within two days and I have yet to receive an actual response from SmartFlix.

The DVD that arrived was is good shape and played OK on my DVD player.

So the summary is that they seem to have problems quickly shipping an order and their customer service is very poor to non-existent. DVD quality is OK.

Return to “Videos”