How to upload photos of your work - w/video

Look here to see how to make a post, upload photos, videos, etc.
Darryl Ponder

How to upload photos of your work - w/video

Unread post by Darryl Ponder » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:44 pm

9/23/13 Note - I used to call our web forum "The Bellows". Since we already had an email reflector that uses that name, there was a bunch of confusion amongst members. I now call the Guild's web forum simply - "the web forum" -. This "how to" video still uses the older name. - Webmaster

[BBvideo 560,340]http://youtu.be/1Bz3TtiaGgk[/BBvideo]

Feel free to post photos of your projects to the website. I really want you to upload photos of your work! Here is how you do it...

Go to the appropriate subcategory in the web forum where you want to post (e.g. bladesmithing show and tell, blacksmithing show and tell, blacksmithing coal forges, etc., etc.), click on it and you will see a button that says "New Topic" on the left. Click it and it opens a page that you can use to post a new topic, including your photos.

First create the text portion of your post, say a description of your project or a description of how you made your project. Type it into the large white text box area.

To attach the photo file you first use the "Browse" button toward the bottom of the page. When you click "browse" it takes you to a screen that is basically asking which file you want to upload. Use the screen to navigate on your computer to the photo file you wish to upload and then click "open". Then you click "add the file". The photos file will upload to the web forum and be there for all to see.

Before attaching the file you also have an opportunity to type in comments about your photo you are about to upload. Se the area just left of "add the file" where it says "file comment" .Filing comments on the pictures such as to what it is about, who is in it, type of material being worked, etc., will help the search engines like Bing and Google find the info, so you can do a search on it years from now and still find it. It also allows for searching within the Bellows for the same reasons. It is not required, but is a nice thing to do.

Please be aware that there is currently a 256 kiloBytes per photo and five photos per post limit set up in the global forum controls. Stay under these limits and you should be in fine shape to upload your photos.

If you want to use a photo from your digital camera, it may need to be resized from its original size before posting. Often raw photos from your camera are 2 megaBytes or more in size. Before posting they will need to be resized down to 256 kB or less. I think the Mac OS handles this resizing easily using appropriate commands. Windows may require a program to do the resizing. Here is but one example: Image Resizer PowerToy Clone for Windows http://imageresizer.codeplex.com/ It works well for me using XP, Vista and Windows 7.

Let me know if you are having problems uploading images as I want to work on making this as simple as possible.

Regards,

Darryl

Return to “Web forum "How to", Feedback and Suggestions”