Too many forums?

Look here to see how to make a post, upload photos, videos, etc.
Synblade

Too many forums?

Unread post by Synblade » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:32 am

I noticed this before but figured I'd post and see what people thought about it. I think our message board has too many forums.

We have 60 main forums and 45 sub-forums for 105 total spots where people could potentially post information. 25+ of these forums have zero posts and many have only 1-2. Many haven't had any activity for years.

I think a good action to take would be to consolidate some of the forums... for example in the "Non-Ferrous Metalworking, Whitesmithing and Jewelry" forum, maybe we don't need a forum for each metal type... people could post the metal they're working with in their thread topics?

The "Blacksmithing" forum has 29 different sub-forums including 2 just for post vices...

Anyways, just wanted to see if people agreed with this or not, I think if the board was a little less overwhelming with forums then people may post more without worrying about nobody seeing it.

Calmb4tehpwn

Re: Too many forums?

Unread post by Calmb4tehpwn » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:59 am

I don't find a huge issue with it, but I will say that I've spent minutes at a time trying to figure out which sub forum the post I'm looking to create should go into. Aside from that, no complaints. It could probably be streamlined, but I don't know if there would be enough impact, in the end, to do it for that reason.

Martin Pansch

Re: Too many forums?

Unread post by Martin Pansch » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:22 pm

Too many forums, or too few people posting stuff?

I can relate to your issue at time though Michael in not being able to figure out right away where to post stuff. Not really a problem for folks that read the forum regularly as when you log on the most recent posts are at the top. People who join up later might have a tougher time finding stuff if it is named something really wacky or in a wildly off topic area.

The empty forums and sub-forums don't bother me much. I can see nothing's in them so I don't need to drill down to see if there is anything neat there.

Return to “Web forum "How to", Feedback and Suggestions”