springs

Dan Rasmussen

springs

Unread post by Dan Rasmussen » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:51 pm

Built a treddle hammer this winter. Thought I had springs that would work ,but they don't. Anyone know were I could get some.

Thanks
Dan

Darryl Ponder

Re: springs

Unread post by Darryl Ponder » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:26 am

Dan,

If you are looking for a free source, I don't have one. Let me know if you find one!

On Gordon Barr's original treadle hammer, the one we worked out the lift mechanism on, I just purchased some garage door springs from Menard's and cut them to length.

I rigged up a scale and pulley system to lift the hammer at the spring attachment point to figure out by experiment how much force was needed, then went to Menard's to check out the springs to see what they had. They listed enough information on the packages at the store that one could figure out the spring constants of what they sold.

Springs were then purchased that were intentionally too long, but with the spring constant needed, then cut to length with a 4 inch cutoff wheel and the end of the spring bent up to fit over the holding stud welded on the treadle hammer.

What gave me the most problem was figuring out exactly where the spring should attach on the lifting mechanism for best action, smoothest operation, etc. That took some trial and error to get right.

Post a picture when you get it all built. Would love to see it.

I bought Rome's treadle that he had on sale and it will be a bit of work to get it finished this Spring (no pun intended). I will be going through the same thing with my new hammer in buying springs and getting them to work just the way I want.

Regards,

Darryl

Stephen Olivo

Re: springs

Unread post by Stephen Olivo » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:53 pm

I have some that I used for my treadle. Find some time and come on by and we can see about setting you up with some that will work.

Return to “Treadle Hammers”