How to build a forge burner

asdf1001

How to build a forge burner

Unread post by asdf1001 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:30 am

Can someone please post how to make a good forge burner out of things I could buy from lowes or home depot preferably

Jim Moenck

Re: How to build a forge burner

Unread post by Jim Moenck » Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:31 pm

This is not as simple as you may think it is. You can buy half the products at Lowes or Home Depot, but I have found that some of items needed to build a burner are too specialized to find at those places. Even once you have all the pieces, you will need access to some good power tools. My burners improved tremendously once I started using a metal lathe and larger mill. I don't have them, but I have access to them thru a friend.

I Forge Iron has a very good thread on gas forges. I would suggest reading much of the info posted there as you have time for.

I have learned much about forge burners in the last 6 or 7 years, and the burner I now use has evolved a lot from the original one I first made. I'd be glad to answer any specific questions you have, after you have done some research. I also hold a class in the spring to build a gas forge (well, sort of. I do a lot of the work before class.) Watch for the class announcements, and try to get into the class before it fills up. And it always fills fast.

Dusty

Unread post by Dusty » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:15 pm

I built a good burner I found in a book called "Gas Burners for Forges, Furnaces & Kilns" written by Michael Porter. I used brass plumbing fittings for the orifice and black pipe fittings. I made some changes to his design to make is easier for me. It works great and heats to more than 2000 degrees F( That's as high as my thermocouple thermometer will read).

Good Luck with your project.

Dusty(Guy Paton)

princewally

Unread post by princewally » Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:55 pm

Return to “Gas Forges”