Stand for a 288lb William Foster Anvil

Martin Pansch

Stand for a 288lb William Foster Anvil

Unread post by Martin Pansch » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:28 pm

My shop muse (or the heat) led me to fabricate today instead of forging. Besides finishing a forge I decided to get another anvil on a stand and into play before the next time I host some smithing activity.

I have had this big boy sitting on the shelf for a while. I am pretty sure it is a William Foster from around 1840 or so. When I bought the anvil (On eBay! For a decent price too!) it was in rough shape (maybe why the decent price). Someone had used it as a table for their cutting torch so there were gouges all along the edges and heel. It was one of the anvils Tom Sanders and I fixed a few years ago.

Honestly I think I had been delaying getting it on a stand because I just didn't know how I was going to move it around when needed. All the other ones I have I can manhandle around but I knew that was out of the question here. I had all sort of crazy schemes of wheels that I could crank down, etc but nothing I thought was the right solution. At the American Hatchet class I saw the solution in something Rob Murray did on his. He put his support cross members down at ground level. I figured if I did that and ran a piece down the middle I could get under it with my 2-wheel dolly.

Here it is shortly before I welded bolts to it to let me fasten the anvil to the stand.
288lb on 3-legged stand.JPG
288lb on 3-legged stand.JPG (135.02 KiB) Viewed 2259 times
It worked and I was able to move it around more easily than I thought with my dolly. I did learn a few things though. 1) That my dolly tires need a bit more air if they are going to take 360+ pounds. 2) That when you get to your destination be careful tipping it back up:
288lb anvil after falling ass over tea kettle.JPG
288lb anvil after falling ass over tea kettle.JPG (137.42 KiB) Viewed 2259 times
A combination of the soft dirt floor and tipping it up without a hand on it let it tip over. You can see the 5 gallon bucket in the background that got hit. The anvil went over on it's side, this photo was after I moved it horn up. Then I got all Archimedean on it and put a 10' long 1" bar through the hardy hole as a lever to stand it up. In the process I also learned that my method of securing the anvil to the stand works well.

The angle iron near the ground level has another advantage in my shop. The smithing side has a dirt floor. The three legged stands start to sink into the dirt. The angle iron really stops it from going down too far. I'll probably add low angle iron braces to some, if not all, of my existing anvil stands.

Thanks Rob!

Return to “Anvil Stands”