tripod stand for my Nimba

Jim Ericksen

tripod stand for my Nimba

Unread post by Jim Ericksen » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:12 pm

Hi all ,

I was going to wait and share pics when I finished it but I'm just too excited about it to wait , I had some machining done on the block last weekend and it's looking good so far .... More to come
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.29 MiB) Viewed 4637 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.4 MiB) Viewed 4637 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.7 MiB) Viewed 4638 times

Martin Pansch

Re: tripod stand for my Nimba

Unread post by Martin Pansch » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:51 pm

Pretty cool Jim.

What is your plan for the square pegs carved out on either end? Something to lock the anvil in place no doubt. Maybe a square tube to slip over it with a little half round tab to fit into the Nimba's little foot nooks? Something else more clever?

What is the last photo? Was that the starting piece of steel?

Calmb4tehpwn

Unread post by Calmb4tehpwn » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:09 pm

Nimbas are so pretty. If I ever purchase a new anvil, it'll be a nimba for sure.

Jim Ericksen

Unread post by Jim Ericksen » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:31 pm

The square pegs are remnants of the machining and will eventually be removed , the slots will eventually be tapered to the bottom to allow slugs and tools to pass through the hardy and pritchel holes

I was going to secure the anvil on the "front and back" sides with a bolt on system but I now realize I have a built in upsetting block so I'll likely find a way to secure it under the horn/ heel , which actually may not be necessary as it sits 1/4" deep into the block rather snug with the pockets milled in

There's a little bump coming out the block by the heel that will have a 5/8" hole put through it with set screws to allow me to fab up a third hand , shelf , or maybe some other goofy gadgets I can come up with

And yes the last pic is what the block started as , 5$ bill for size reference , for some reason every time I post multiple pics they post in the opposite sequence I'd like ;-)

Hope to have more updates on the project and have it completed in the next couple weeks

Martin Pansch

Unread post by Martin Pansch » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:37 pm

Pretty slick Jim.

I don't think the anvil will "walk" from it's pocket at all and would be fine as is. I personally would probably include some means of fastening it down tight for noise dampening, the little it would improve you efficiency and, mostly, because I can't leave well enough alone. ;) I can't remember how loud your Nimba is so it might be a non-issue.

Leaving a bump off the side for attachments is a nice opulent touch. A lesser man would have to weld something on there for the purpose.

Photo order is sort of counter intuitive. Every time you select another photo it goes to the top of your list, so the last photo selected is the first posted if you don't do anything. I usually insert the photos amongst my text since I am typically writing about what each photo is anyway. It is pretty easy to figure out if you know the option's there. Maybe I'll post a "how to" on that if Darryl doesn't already have one around here somewhere.

I do agree with Michael that the Nimba is a very pretty anvil. Maybe not as pretty to me as a double horned Mousehole but then Nimbas are still being made...

Calmb4tehpwn

Unread post by Calmb4tehpwn » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:19 pm

After googling the double horn mousehole, I have to say they're very attractive anvils as well. Something about the double horn pattern just feels correct to me.

Also, I'm no expert on the subject, but what reading I've done has mentioned that Nimbas are notoriously loud, but that seems easily corrected with a magnet under the horn. Seems to change the frequency of the anvil, which seems crazy to me.

Science!

One day I'll own a Nimba (Centurian if I'm exceptionally lucky). Let's just pray that I find myself in that position, financially, before Nimba decides it's done making anvils.

Jim Ericksen

Unread post by Jim Ericksen » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:33 pm

They are extremely loud , and a magnet is how I dampen mine , attached a video showing how well the magnet works below >>>

http://youtu.be/2_TRB4HPK6g

Jim Ericksen

Unread post by Jim Ericksen » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:42 am

Finally had the machine center open up enough for me to sneak it in last weekend , now all I have to do is fab up the legs and it's done ;-)
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.48 MiB) Viewed 4376 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.34 MiB) Viewed 4376 times

Jim Ericksen

Unread post by Jim Ericksen » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:00 pm

Did the mock up with the legs today , starting to take shape now
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.81 MiB) Viewed 4304 times

Jim Ericksen

Unread post by Jim Ericksen » Tue May 19, 2015 4:24 pm

Finally got a little time to spend on the stand today and glued the legs on , hope to finish it up in the next couple weeks
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (874.19 KiB) Viewed 4184 times

Return to “Anvil Stands”