Post Drill

Show off your projects! Please post photos.
wayne.olson

Post Drill

Unread post by wayne.olson » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:33 pm

Hello.
This is another of my winter projects (long winter). This post vise has been in my family since before I was born. I was fascinated by it as a kid and recently purchased it from my dad. Since I can find no discernible markings or embellishments. I decided to paint it! Wrong color for Dad, as dad was an orange man. Most of you know what "all that color talk" is about in rural farm country. You know, green red, orange and heaven forbid blue!
I did purchase a new chuck for it and you would be very surprised how well this post drill works. My first test piece was a 1/2" hole in a steel plate. Worked! I hope to be able to use it as part of a demonstration sometime.
Wayne
Attachments
Post Vise.JPG
Post Vise.JPG (2.95 MiB) Viewed 3091 times

Darryl Ponder

Re: Post Drill

Unread post by Darryl Ponder » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:59 am

Wayne,

That's really nice. No mistaking your allegiance in the color wars!

How does using the post drill compare to using a drill press or hand drill? How long did it take you to drill the 1/2" hole in the steel plate using the post drill?

Darryl

Jim Moenck

Unread post by Jim Moenck » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:43 pm

Wayne, that's a good job restoring an old tool. It also reminds me that I have on stashed in the shed down at my Dad's farm. I need to dig it out and take a good look at it. Where did you buy the new chuck?

wayne.olson

Unread post by wayne.olson » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:33 pm

Hello.
I bought the chuck from MSC, a basic version. While I don't recall the exact amount of time to drill a half inch hole, I remember something like 3-4 minutes?? I got to thinking after I posted about what I had done, so I went back to my scrap pile and found the plate and it also had a 3/4 hole that I did! I remember something like 5-6 minutes for the 3/4 inch hole with a bit of a sore arm when I was done. I would not want to do that all day. Maybe in my younger days! You know it is kind of like the saying for computers, garbage in garbage out. Well in this case, the amount of effort in, equals time and results out. Or something like that. I did have have to bore the spindle out to hold the chuck and I have a lathe so no big deal.
And relating to the color scheme, would you believe I actually and a "red" man. Shsss don't tell anyone.
Regards
:)
Wayne

Return to “Show and Tell”