young metalsmith, new to the area

Singlesonnet

young metalsmith, new to the area

Unread post by Singlesonnet » Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:02 pm

Hello to TGoM!
My name is Kirsti, and I am an aspiring jeweler/metalworking that has been living on the west coast the last 6 years, recently having moved back to my home state Minnesota! I joined this forum because I thought it would be a good way to meet some metallic community members out here in the Twin Cities! I am curious if there are any individuals or businesses out there that need a helping hand.

When out on the west coast in Olympia, Washington, I built my skills in fine metals during my undergraduate at The Evergreen State College. I found my true love - copper, and from there built my skills in stone setting, fabrication, casting and the like. I became really interested in making "art" jewelry while also honing my craftsmanship to industry standards. I've only been a jeweler for a few years, I've made a lot of things but have a lot to learn.

Even more recently I wanted to expand my skill set a bit and took the Fall Iron Concentration at Penland School of Crafts as a work study student. I knew it would be fun and informative to try a different process, but unexpectedly to myself, I fell for blacksmithing and steel fabrication in general. It has became almost more of a focus to my immediate future to find a shop to work in.

All I want to do is get back into a studio and learn as much as I can. I am not sure what the next step in my career will be, but I thought reaching out would at least be one forward. Internship; apprenticeship; work trade; studio rental: these are all possibilities!

What's out there Minnesota?

Likely I will be crossing paths with some of you in the future.

Thanks a lot!

Kirsti

wayne.olson

Re: young metalsmith, new to the area

Unread post by wayne.olson » Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:38 pm

Welcome aboard! Great place and great people here!!!! I have always been amazed at the willingness of people to share information and to help others out...
Wayne

Martin Pansch

Unread post by Martin Pansch » Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:47 am

Welcome Kristi!

I would recommend coming to our Christmas party/meeting next Sunday as a good next step in your metalworking networking. Details are here:

http://www.metalsmith.org/wp-content/up ... 4forum.pdf

We have people doing just about everything in metal and our population center of gravity is the Twin Cities so you should be able to find someone to help scratch your itch. I'd invite you over myself but am out west a ways and have more of a three season shop.

bbuxton

Unread post by bbuxton » Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:31 pm

Check out the Chicago Avenue Fire Arts Center in S. MPLS. www,cafac.org

Return to “Introductions - Introduce yourself to the web forum members”