Introductions Are Not My Forte - or - Words, Words, Photos Words

Sara013

Introductions Are Not My Forte - or - Words, Words, Photos Words

Unread post by Sara013 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:25 pm

Hallo!

n00b here.

I've been working with hot and cold running metal either professionally or... uh... hobby-ily...?...for about 17 years, now. Most of my not-work-related metalwork is jewelry or artsy sort of stuff. I've been wanting to delve into blacksmithing for a number of years, but when living in apartments, big hot fires and ringing anvils seemed like probably not a good idea. I now finally have my own place, and I'm eager to start learning, trying new things, and not burning down my garage or house. Not necessarily in that order.

Here are a few things that I've made over the years...

A set of pauldrons made from a heavy gauge steel. A friend has a wee shop and makes armour, and is kind enough and patient enough to teach me. My goal is to one day have a complete set of armour for a Ringwraith costume. Cuz I'm a silly fangirl. (Last crappy photo is of me wearing them, for scale; photo stolen by my friend.)

Image Image Image

Most of my jewelry / art / whatever you wanna call it is made from brass, copper, aluminum, and whatever else I can find:

Image Image

And last, but not least, my new anvil........ I keep telling my parents that I want a nice anvil. So they got me this. I know you're jealous. It took me FOREVER to find a stump big enough to fit it.

Once I get my cheapy little railroad track anvil, I'll get a little more serious about firing up my old coal forge...!

Darryl Ponder

Re: Introductions Are Not My Forte - or - Words, Words, Photos Words

Unread post by Darryl Ponder » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:00 pm

Hello Sara. Welcome to the Guild's web forum. Glad you introduced yourself and posted some photos of your work!

You must plan on attending the meeting the next time we meet at Arms and Armor in Minneapolis. One of the Board members may drop by this thread and chime in as to when that might be. Here is their website: http://armor.com/ Given the work you are showing, that meeting will be a special one for you. They have sword and armor reproductions, as that is their business, but also have a collection of the real deal, hundreds, even thousands of years old. An awesome meeting place for the Guild.

Looks like your tool kit is coming along nicely with a good set of ball peens and a couple of good cross peen hammers as well. My go-to hammer for forging looks identical to the top cross peen in your photo.

Put an ad in Craigslist for an anvil. I found mine that way. Good anvil at a fair price. I know others have done the same.

Again, welcome. Feel free to post and ask questions. You will find the Guild members are generous with their knowledge of metalworking.

Regards,

Darryl

bartelfitzneel

Unread post by bartelfitzneel » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:00 am

hello,

A great source of information on armor making is at http://www.armourarchive.org/ a great website filled with directions, patterns and a comunity of armourers eager to help new people out. There are a fair number of people in the twincities metro making armour that would be open to help you out as well. I could put you in touch with them if you wish.

Calmb4tehpwn

Unread post by Calmb4tehpwn » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:49 pm

Those spaulders look great, and I really love the Firefly logo. It looks outstanding.

I just joined myself, and I'm sure I'll see you around (At both Blacksmith gatherings and CONvergence as well! We're enormous nerds in this household.)

Return to “Introductions - Introduce yourself to the web forum members”