Hello from Eagan

m1fixer

Hello from Eagan

Unread post by m1fixer » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:05 pm

Hello,

I'm currently taking the Blacksmithing and welding classes at CAFAC.org . I've learned a few basic techniques. I want to build my own coal forge and was told I could find plans here. I'm still looking. I have paid my annual dues for the guild but can't find the members only part of the forums. I'm not sure if it's a setting that needs to be changed. Any help would be appreciated.

My next few projects are a forge, anvil base, and a ton of tools. How does steal from truck and semi springs preform in tool making ?

Thanks,

Dan

Jim Ericksen

Re: Hello from Eagan

Unread post by Jim Ericksen » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:12 pm

Did you find the forge area of the forum ?

Here's a link

http://www.metalsmith.org/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=40

Calmb4tehpwn

Unread post by Calmb4tehpwn » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:07 pm

Hey Dan!

My friend and I just finished our forge here in Burnsville, and we're in the process of making our tools (tongs, hammers, and hardy tools). We'd love to have you visit! We're a humble operation, but that wont dampen us for visitors. Though, my wife may not let you in the house. It's a disaster (Toddler in the house, baby on the way. Not much time for cleaning)

Cheers!

Martin Pansch

Unread post by Martin Pansch » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:17 pm

Hi Dan.

There are a few posts here showing how various folks have made there own forge, though I don't know if anyone has posted plans as such. I have some drawings I have found various places on the Internet. A good one for fire pots and a few for hoods I haven't tried yet. When I get home I can either email them to you or post them here with the proper citation.

Other than the fire pot and hood though a lot of it is just building it how you want it or to what materials and tools you have access too. After this Saturday's forge building class I'll have helped about 30 folks build forges and just about every time the designs change just a little bit. Hard to know just what you want until you have used a bunch.

I wrote a two part article on it for the Metalsmith a while ago about forge building. I could dig that up too when I get home if you would like.

If you are free this Saturday (25 April 2015) and don't mind a long drive into the country you could come out to my place in the afternoon and see what the students in the forge class are making and see the other forges I have out there. Might give you a better idea of what you'll need.

Take care

Calmb4tehpwn

Unread post by Calmb4tehpwn » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:12 pm

Martin, I'd be interested in the hood designs you have. I need to learn to weld and put a hood together. I am learning how hard it is to forge outdoors and without a hood. Always getting smoke in my face, and I'm concerned with what my neighbors think when I start pouring water on it to put it out. LOTS OF STEAM!

Anyways, I'm derailing the conversation. I'll email you, Martin

Martin Pansch

Unread post by Martin Pansch » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:16 pm

Hi Michael.

I thought I had the hoods on electrons already but they are hard copy. I'll have to scan them first. Might be a day or two before I get to it.

If you want dead simple, quick and cheaper option see what Darryl Ponder did for his.

http://www.metalsmith.org/phpbb/viewtop ... f=40&t=100

He used a section of rectangular HVAC duct. It is galvanized but typically the hood doesn't get hot enough for that to be a problem. To give yourself an extra margin of safety the first time you use it you might want to big as big of fire as you ever plan to use, and stand back upwind. Let anything that is going to burn off go.

Anyway, I'll get those hood drawing up as within a few days hopefully.

Martin

Return to “Introductions - Introduce yourself to the web forum members”