Hello from Golden Valley

Scott K

Hello from Golden Valley

Unread post by Scott K » Wed May 06, 2015 12:01 pm

Hi All,

I just recently got bit by the bug to do some metal working/forging. I'm greener than your retired neighbors grass but I'm really excited to start making things. Brief background; mechanical engineer working in biotech. Limited knowledge/experience with metalworking but a thorough education in woodworking. I'm not a stranger to building things but metals are Greek to me. I look forward to meeting all of you and learning all of the things.

-Scott

Martin Pansch

Re: Hello from Golden Valley

Unread post by Martin Pansch » Wed May 06, 2015 4:14 pm

Welcome Scott. We all start from the same place, that of knowing nothing. By deciding to learn you are already ahead of 99% of the population. The Guild and it's members can help push your learning curve to near vertical.

Besides reading the forum here and asking any questions that come to mind I highly suggest coming to the next meeting 10 June, details are on the website. That will let you start making the connections that will help you learn, visit others' shops, start acquiring equipment, etc.

We have a nice write up somewhere on Welcome to The Guild/Metal working that Lou Groth did. I can try to find it on my computer when I get home in a few weeks unless someone else reading has it.

Again welcome to the world of metalworking and, hopefully, The Guild of Metalsmiths.

Martin

Darryl Ponder

Unread post by Darryl Ponder » Wed May 06, 2015 5:11 pm

Hello Scott. Welcome to the Guild! I look forward to seeing you at our next meeting.

My name is Darryl and I am the web manager for the Guild.

If you log into the web forum, scroll down almost to the bottom and go into the section called " The Guild of Metalsmiths (Guild Members Only Area..)" you will see the "Guide for New Guild Members" by Lou Groth and Gordon Barr.

Regards,

Darryl

Scott K

Unread post by Scott K » Fri May 08, 2015 2:24 pm

Thanks for the welcome. I was planning on attending the 10th and look forward to meeting people and getting going. I saw the lathes and mills thread was a little sparse so I might see what I can do to fill that in as I get rolling with that this summer. My brother and I just got our mill setup in the garage shop which is part of the reason I wanted to start working metals by hand. Anyways, thanks for the info and see you all soon.

-Scott

Darryl Ponder

Unread post by Darryl Ponder » Sun May 10, 2015 7:10 am

Scott,

Thanks for the offer to help fill up the machining section of the website! Feel free to post all you want. Photos of works and "how-to" posts are always in demand.

We actually have a good number of machinists in the Guild, but they have generally not felt comfortable in posting. My guess is that as you start posting they will feel more comfortable and you will end up with some very good discussions in that part of the forum.

I'm a novice when it comes to machining but plan to acquire a small bench lathe and start learning. Looking forward to taking some Guild classes on entry level machining over the next couple of years.

Regards,

Darryl

Jim Moenck

Unread post by Jim Moenck » Mon May 11, 2015 4:51 pm

Hi Scott, and welcome to the Bellows. I just had my first taste of working on a lathe, and I must say I really had fun. I'd love to learn more about the machining aspect of metalwork. There are a lot of good folks willing to help out here. I'm sure you'll feel right at home.
Hope to meet you soon.

Return to “Introductions - Introduce yourself to the web forum members”