Hello from Hudson!

Scratch

Hello from Hudson!

Unread post by Scratch » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:15 pm

Hello everyone! Im Steve from Hudson Wisconsin. I started doing metalwork under the name Edge Metalworks about 10 years ago when I got my CNC plasma cutting table. After that I got a few anvils and built a gas and a coal forge. Things started to get busy and I started doing metal art, railings and other ornamental iron, coat hooks, commissioned work, signs etc...
I also joined the Guild, have been to a handful of the dinner meetings, and was also a member of this forum.

Then, in 2011... I was knocked off a ladder, fell about 16 feet onto concrete and got a brain injury. I now have memory, noise, light, and cognitive issues, get dizzy in a car so I don't drive anymore, and I also get dizzy in the dark, so wearing a welding helmet is a challenge for me. I stopped doing metalwork for a few years, let my membership expire and somehow... my username and account on the forum, disappeared. The TBI has changed my life drastically, but I'm very thankful that I can still walk, and talk, and as a bonus... I get to see my wife and kids more!

Anyways... I don't do much metalwork anymore, but still have all my tools. I'd really like to get back into some very light blacksmithing though, as I really enjoyed it. I'd like to maybe start by making a couple blades... for fun.
I look forward to getting to know you all, and learning more about bladesmithing.

Martin Pansch

Re: Hello from Hudson!

Unread post by Martin Pansch » Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:38 am

Welcome to the Forum Steve. You might be thinking of another Forum that you were on before though. I don't think Darryl has deleted anyone's user name since the site went up in 2013.

Sorry to hear about your injury and the hardship it has caused to your walking the metal path. Bladesmithing sounds like a good area to try to ease back into it. More detail oriented and not as much brute force needed as some other hot metal pursuits. We have a few folks in the Guild who are blade people and we occasionally have a class on it. Otherwise, if you have any questions on it post them here and someone it likely to answer.

Not to try to get you to abandon our site for another but there is a forum out there dedicated to blade makers, both smiths and stock removal. Like most the metal world the guys there are really free with information and the photos of some of the work those guys are putting out is awe inspiring. Try this link:

http://www.bladesmithsforum.com/

Take care.

Jim Moenck

Unread post by Jim Moenck » Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:16 pm

Hi Steve, sorry that you can't enjoy blacksmithing like you did before. I live just outside St. Croix Falls, WI, and also enjoy making blades and knives. If you need any help, just holler. I'd be glad to do what ever I can for you.

Scratch

Unread post by Scratch » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:01 pm

Thanks for the welcome guys, and thanks for the tip about bladesmithsforum Martin... I'll check them out too.

Return to “Introductions - Introduce yourself to the web forum members”