Struck tool holding tongs

Martin Pansch

Struck tool holding tongs

Unread post by Martin Pansch » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:23 pm

Besides working on a few other things today I got most of a pair of struck tool holding tongs knocked out. I have been wanting to make one of these for awhile, well another one as I made one before but it wasn't for me. Some other projects Jim Ericksen and I are working on would really benefit from having a bunch of shorter tools for working under the treadle hammer. Anyway I took some shots of some of the steps in case anyone is interested in seeing what mistakes I made and wants to hurl peals of derisive laughter.

I made them like the typical 3-shoulder flat bit tongs however, I typically use either 5/8" or 3/4" square stock for tongs. In this case I used 1/2" x 3/4" bar because I have a lot of that around thanks to Jim. Starting length is 23 3/8".
Starting stock.jpg
Starting stock.jpg (200.82 KiB) Viewed 3100 times
I heated up the end, shouldered it about 1 1/2" back and drew it out to about 3" long and a little over 1/4" wide. This is done on the rounded near side edge of the anvil with half-face blows.
First shoulder.jpg
First shoulder.jpg (201.07 KiB) Viewed 3100 times
Next you take another heat and set the second shoulder. This will be a 90 degree turn of the bar from the first shoulder. This was done at an angle over the rounded edge of the far side of the anvil.
Angle on the anvil for second shoulder.jpg
Angle on the anvil for second shoulder.jpg (169.24 KiB) Viewed 3100 times
If it was a square bar you would shoot for about 1/2 the original thickness of the bar (e.g if you started with a 3/4" bar you would flatten it to 3/8"). I drew it to about 3/8". It didn't give me a really wide boss but wide enough for a strong joint.
Second shoulder.jpg
Second shoulder.jpg (187.57 KiB) Viewed 3100 times
Then I took another heat and set the third shoulder (the demarcation between the boss and the reins). I shouldered it far enough back for about an 1" long boss. This shows the position over the rounded edge of the far side of the anvil.
Position for third shoulder.jpg
Position for third shoulder.jpg (129.63 KiB) Viewed 3100 times
More photos on the next post.

Martin Pansch

Re: Struck tool holding tongs

Unread post by Martin Pansch » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:45 pm

If you have a long enough heat and work fast you can set the third shoulder and draw on the reins a little bit. It helps to have a power hammer with drawing dies. This it what it looks like.
Starting to draw reins.jpg
Starting to draw reins.jpg (182.67 KiB) Viewed 3098 times
You'll notice I sound like a one-string banjo always saying the shoulders are set on the rounded edge of the anvil. If you set it on the sharp corner you will be likely making a stress riser in there and have a good chance of making cold shuts if the shoulder jumps a little when you are working it. Here is a close up of a few of the shoulders so you can see the roundness.
Curve of shoulders .jpg
Curve of shoulders .jpg (195.48 KiB) Viewed 3098 times
After drawing a few more heat on the reins while it was still on the parent bar I cut is of to work it easier. Now, it is only really easier to work if you have a set of tongs to hang on to it well. I have some box jaw tongs that work well for that. Here it is cut off next to the parent bar.
First half cut off bar.jpg
First half cut off bar.jpg (201.69 KiB) Viewed 3098 times

There was 16" left of the parent bar so it took about 7 3/8" for the first half. After a few more heats than I would like to admit (I kept playing with it trying to get a nice taper with light springy reins and a nice chamfer for comfort). It ended up a little over 19" total. That might be a little long for my purposes so I might cut them down in the end.
Length of first half.jpg
Length of first half.jpg (179.63 KiB) Viewed 3098 times
Then all you have to do is make the second half just like the first. Here the second half is cut off ready to finish drawing the rein out.
Second half cut off.jpg
Second half cut off.jpg (192.28 KiB) Viewed 3098 times
That half took about 7 3/8" of parent stock too. Almost like I was paying attention or something but really I was singing along to Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody at the top of my lungs at that point so you know that is not the case (don't worry, I was alone and had ear plugs in).

Couple more photos for the night in the next post.

Martin Pansch

Unread post by Martin Pansch » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:56 pm

Both halves should be as close to identical to each other as possible. Mine were close.
Both halves together.jpg
Both halves together.jpg (203.44 KiB) Viewed 3098 times
I heated the boss on both of them to a dull red and used a flatter on the insides of the boss hoping that would make the joint smoother when they are riveted together. I also trimmed the end of the bits off to the same lengths. Here they are laid one on the other.
Both halves in situ.jpg
Both halves in situ.jpg (194.66 KiB) Viewed 3098 times
At this point I let them cool down before drilling the holes for the rivet. I could have punched them but the drill press was right there and was going to give me a more certain result. Here they are when I was starting to take a heat to work the bits into a half round to fit the stock I will make my struck tools from.
Halves with holes drilled.jpg
Halves with holes drilled.jpg (202.49 KiB) Viewed 3098 times
At this point I made 90 degree bend in one of the bits and was going to take a shot of it but my iPhone battery died. So I finished working that bit into a semi-circle since I had a heat going on it. I set the other half aside to finish tomorrow. I'll try to remember to take some photos of that and the last little tweaks to finish these off.

Jim Moenck

Unread post by Jim Moenck » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:41 am

Very nice WIP Martin. Tongs are not my strong suit, and I need to work on that. Thanks for the inspiration.

Return to “Tongs”