Draw knives

Martin Pansch

Draw knives

Unread post by Martin Pansch » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:53 pm

So I have been kicking around the idea to make some drawknives. I made one long ago when I first started but my skills were cruder than they are now (hard to believe I know). Anyone out there have success with this or made any educational failures?

Right now I plan to do a laminated blade (steeled edge) versus making it all of tool steel. I would like to do one of the Cantelo patent drawknives with folding handles and cam locks. I browsed the patents on Google and the one I was interested in was dated 1895 so I am not worried about infringement. I am anticipating that the thinner blade with steel laminated only on one side might give me some warpage upon heat treating but I think I can straighten that out after the second tempering cycle. Going for that many moving parts and a laminated steel might might be a bridge too far but you have to stretch yourself.

When things start taking shape I post some work in progress stufff but I am interested to know anyone elses experiences.

Take care.

Martin

kevinToboja

Re: Draw knives

Unread post by kevinToboja » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:05 pm

What's your thought process on the laminated Vs mono steel?

Don't think that warpage should be much of an issue as long as you're using somewhat compatible materials (10XX or W1 and mild steel for example).

Guessing you'd be looking at a fairly high hardness on the cutting edge

Sounds like a fun project

Martin Pansch

Re: Draw knives

Unread post by Martin Pansch » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:29 pm

Mostly I am thinking laminated instead of mono for 1) more historically appropriate 2) a challenge 3) having the mild steel (or wrought!) for the tangs might give me a little more forgiveness in doing what I have to do for folding handles.

Probably won't get a chance to start it until I knock a few other things off the list but I like have processes to think about during the commute.

Return to “Tools and Tooling”