Gas savers and oxy-propane torches

Martin Pansch

Gas savers and oxy-propane torches

Unread post by Martin Pansch » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:10 am

I have been thinking about getting a gas saver for a while and now, after seeing Ernie Dorrill at the Madness, I feel more driven towards it. I have a couple questions that might keep me from reinventing the wheel if anyone has input.

1) From crawling around the web I have seen a couple different solutions. The one that I think would be most is the kind that has the pilot light near the torch tip in the valve's cradle and when you step on a foot pedal it lifts the torch, opens the valve and ignites. Anyone have a design along these lines they would like to share photos/drawings/descriptions of?

2) I already have a Harris oxy-acetylene torch set up, a kit I got years ago when just starting plus a few extra tips I got since then. I am thinking about getting an oxy-propane to go with the gas saver rig. I expect the majority of operations I am going to use it for is decent sized rosebud and cutting steel up to maybe a few inches thick. The Harris has been good, I am not in love with a particular brand but will only buy a major brand I can be comfortable that finding parts and service in the future won't be an issue. American made if possible. Anyone have any suggestions for make/model?

Thanks for any input.

Jim Ericksen

Re: Gas savers and oxy-propane torches

Unread post by Jim Ericksen » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:26 pm

Martin
If your thinking of changing fuel gasses I'd suggest looking into propylene instead of propane it will do everything acetylene will do except welding , we use gas savers at every station / portable at my work , I can check the brand tomorrow , and your also welcome to stop by and check em out ( and propylene ) any time you want

Jim

Martin Pansch

Unread post by Martin Pansch » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:47 pm

Thanks Jim. I might have to stop by at some point. Not just to see the gas savers and propylene but some of the other toys you have mentioned.

The reason I was drawn to propane is the availability (feed store versus welding supply place) and the price, at least relative to acetylene, and that is was supposed to heat and cut as well as acetylene. I don't suppose you know the relative cost of propylene do you? Since I would still need to get oxygen anyway the availability thing wouldn't be a game stopper.

What brand(s) of torch do you like?

Martin

Jim Ericksen

Unread post by Jim Ericksen » Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:31 pm

Today I asked a coworker who's been brazing coils for SRC longer than I've been alive how long he's had his torch , 20 years he said , then I looked at the name on it and it was smith , I'd say that's pretty solid proof on their quality

I have a smith setup myself and though I haven't used it much I have no complaints , I did however clamp it in a vise once and it actually flattened the handle slightly definitely a doh moment and not recommended

Being that I don't actually pay for gasses at my job I can only go by what I've heard , I've heard propylene is half the cost to operate with over acetylene and that it's cheaper than propane as well

It's a stable gas and much safer than acetylene

The only drawbacks would be that you'll need new / different tips and welding can't be done ( not because of lack of heat it's because there's too much turbulence that disrupts the pool )

We switched to propylene a few years ago during the acetylene shortage because of an accident /explosion at a chemical plant that shut down the supply of a key component ... Going to google next to try and refresh my memory

Totally didn't have time / forgot to check the gas misers today I'll do it tomorrow ;-)

Jim

Jim Ericksen

Unread post by Jim Ericksen » Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:39 pm

This is the accident that caused the shortage in 2011

http://www.csb.gov/mobile/carbide-indus ... explosion/

Return to “Oxy-Acetylene”