Let there be light!

Martin Pansch

Let there be light!

Unread post by Martin Pansch » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:31 pm

I try to improve my shop a little each year. One of the things I would like to get done this year is lights. Currently I have some contractor lights (essentially a 100' extension cord with a 100 watt bulb every 10') hung from the rafters which are about 12' up. They work okay but were meant to be temporary and besides they aren't bright enough for my tastes. When the sun is down and I don't have the ambient sunlight I need to set up extra spot lights when I really need to see light when laying something out or welding ("Obi-Wan, with the blast shield down I can't even see, how am I supposed to weld?").

So I am soliciting the collective wisdom here for advice on what lights you think I should go with and any advice on layout. I want something bright enough to minimize my reliance on spot lights but doesn't mess with how I see the color of hot steel.

Any advice? What do other folks have and what would you change?

thomas.gervais

Re: Let there be light!

Unread post by thomas.gervais » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:43 am

Martin,
I hear your pain I was there a few years ago. They say a picture is worth a 1000 words, and if I knew how to get my pictures down to the 256k limit I could save a lot of typing and you reading a short novel. Let start with I believe each section of our shops needs different lighting. The forging area needs less than the layout table. My shop is not near the size of your but I do have my lighting segregated and with ability to easily shut a portion off.

My main shop has similar lighting as you that is switched at the wall but in addition have 4ft florescent light over my work bench that is switched . Also over the layout and welding table that is pull chain switched florescent lighting. Over the pedicel grinder, belt sander, and lathe I have shop lights that I got at Menards made of aluminum in a bell shape with squeeze type clamp that I unplug when not in use.

In the lean to shed that is my blacksmith shop same general string lighting but over the layout / work bench have florescent lighting that can be switched off when not needed or when forging. In short customizes lighting for a particular area that is switched and intense lighting in key areas like belt sander and the like.

I hope this makes some sense if not I will see you on the 20th for class we can talk about it there.

Tom

Return to “Design, Layout and Building a Shop”