My shop on wheels

Darryl Ponder

My shop on wheels

Unread post by Darryl Ponder » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:54 pm

Everything has to be on wheels so I can get my wife's car in the garage as requested.

I really don't smith much in the winter due to the cold.

The post leg vise stand is made of a piece of round steel I bought at a Guild of Metalsmiths Fall conference silent auction and an oxygen tank I bought at the same auction. The anvil is on a plywood base with wheels. I got the plans from the Anvilfire site if I recall correctly. The propane forge is homemade out of an old helium cylinder and I just sit it on top of a metal cart I bought at Northern Tool. Nothing fancy, but I can do some smithing with the setup.

Darryl
Attachments
CIMG3762.JPG
CIMG3762.JPG (1.59 MiB) Viewed 3343 times
CIMG3761.JPG
CIMG3761.JPG (1.57 MiB) Viewed 3343 times
CIMG4213 (Small).JPG
CIMG4213 (Small).JPG (78.81 KiB) Viewed 3374 times

brillig999

Re: My shop on wheels

Unread post by brillig999 » Fri May 17, 2013 7:04 am

Darryl,

Is the oxygen tank filled with anthing to add mass - or is it just empty?

BC

Darryl Ponder

Re: My shop on wheels

Unread post by Darryl Ponder » Fri May 17, 2013 7:44 am

It's empty. I cut it off level on top with a 4.5 inch angle grinder so I could put the tray/vise mount on. The top tray is mounted via brackets that I bolt to the tank. The brackets were made out of a piece of large angle iron cut into sections and drilled.

The whole set up is rather heavy. I could not lift it into the back of a truck by myself. The plate at the bottom is 3/4 x23" diameter steel with a hole in the middle. I bought it at the silent auction at the Fall conference five or six years ago. Score!

It is designed for disassembly for taking to classes or demonstrations.

The tank is mounted to the bottom plate with four steel brackets welded to the bottom plate and I drilled and tapped the tank to accept eight (2 ea/bracket) large allen head bolts from these brackets so I can take the tank and table assembly off the bottom plate.

There are two Northern Tool metal wheels on brackets welded to the bottom plate such that the wheels are just barely off the floor while the vise is in normal use (i.e. the whole setup is vertical). When needed, one can tilt the whole vise/tank/plate assembly over at 30 degrees onto the wheels and roll it around the shop. Works well on concrete floors and less well on dirt floors.

If you need dimensions, have questions or need photos, let me know.

Darryl

Return to “Shop Photos - Show Off Your Shop!”