Good enough for cattle...

Martin Pansch

Good enough for cattle...

Unread post by Martin Pansch » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:38 pm

So, while it is in no way the kind of shop you expect to see Robin Leach drone on about this is what I am currently working out of. It is an old cattle loafing shed for a former dairy farm. It started out without much to speak for it but potential space. "Potential" because it was filled with all sorts of old straw, manure, scrap wood, etc. That was in 2006. Since then I have been slowly improving the shop and the tools within it. I've added electricity, an east facing wall, and a roll up door. I built some layout tables and a welding table from scrap wood, bricks and old solid core doors. Tools I have added since there are a tire hammer, a 100 lb Little Giant (not shown), bandsaw and stock rack, MIG welder, some grinders, anvils, vises, and a gantry crane. Most equipment is on wheels, a skid that takes a pallet jack, or otherwise movable to let me open up space for bigger projects, like pulling in a trailer or car to work on.

Next improvements are open up the northern "annnex" and move all the forges and smithing stuff there and leave the current shop for the fabrication. I plan on setting up several forging stations to handle the number of guests who are frequently stopping by to work on stuff. As is it can't be heated well so I am planning on settling up some knock down insulated walls in the new annex side that will enclose enough space for one generous forging station. I also have to plug up some air gaps in the ridge cap and where the western wall meets the roof. They usually aren't a problem but sometimes I get a wicked west wind and it can push rain inside.

That's about it. Not great or glamorous, it has some issues, but I like it and can build almost anything I want in it.
Attachments
IMG_0010.JPG
Bandsaw and steel rack
IMG_0010.JPG (132.12 KiB) Viewed 3346 times
IMG_0011.JPG
Front roll up door and gantry crane.
IMG_0011.JPG (94.34 KiB) Viewed 3346 times
IMG_0006.JPG
Looking south. Welding bench and "pot rack"
IMG_0006.JPG (152.53 KiB) Viewed 3346 times
IMG_0008.JPG
Looking west. Layout tables made from scrap. Grinder bench.
IMG_0008.JPG (128.76 KiB) Viewed 3346 times
IMG_0007.JPG
Looking north from door. Horizontal saw, tire hammer, anvils, forges, vises, etc
IMG_0007.JPG (118.67 KiB) Viewed 3346 times

thomas.gervais

Re: Good enough for cattle...

Unread post by thomas.gervais » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:38 am

Martin,
Very nice shop, I’m jealous of the room you have to work with I don’t have that luxury. As with all our shops they are always in the transition stage. I see that you are one of the instructors for the Guillotine class. I will be one of your students looking forward to meeting you in a few weeks.
Tom

Marty.Hicks

Unread post by Marty.Hicks » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:32 pm

I'm jealous of all that space too! Ah well. Nice shop.

Martin Pansch

Unread post by Martin Pansch » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:47 pm

Yeah, the space is nice. You know what they say about a gift to get the smith who has everything? A place to put it.

Now if I can just keep the barn swallows from pooping on my stuff. ;)

Return to “Shop Photos - Show Off Your Shop!”