Boot Scraper class report

Martin Pansch

Boot Scraper class report

Unread post by Martin Pansch » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:01 pm

Over the weekend of 25-26 June we had the boot scraper class out at my shop. It was a nice small class with 4 students and Tom Sanders teaching.
Tom demonstrating.jpg
Tom demonstrating.jpg (186.76 KiB) Viewed 1419 times
Tom demonstrating the secondary finial.jpg
Tom demonstrating the secondary finial.jpg (222.38 KiB) Viewed 1419 times
The steel was bigger than most of us are used to drawing out by hand, 3/4" x 1 1/2". Some availed themselves of Da Killla Bee, my tire hammer, while others teamed up and double struck for each other.
Dave and Al working together.jpg
Dave and Al working together.jpg (232.59 KiB) Viewed 1419 times
Oh, and did I mention that the first day of class was one of the hottest of the year so far with swampy humidity?
Hot, damn hot.jpg
Hot, damn hot.jpg (15.19 KiB) Viewed 1419 times
Who was the idiot who thought it was a good idea to have a blacksmithing class on a day like that should certainly be fired from any Guild related job he currently has at the next available opportunity (say December? ;).

By the second day the weather got a lot nicer so forging was less brutal. No one got completely done with their scraper but I think everyone learned a thing or two, especially Tom's trick for welding on a collar without needing to do math to know how long to cut it. Overall I think the class was well received and folks had fun despite the weather.
Attachments
Bob welding his finial.jpg
Bob welding his finial.jpg (226.7 KiB) Viewed 1419 times

Return to “Classes”