Winter Forge project

wayne.olson

Winter Forge project

Unread post by wayne.olson » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:07 pm

I got busy this winter with a build project for my gas forge. Thanks to Bob for his design and thoughts! I copied a burner design off the internet. I have used it once with Al and it seemed to work great.
Wayne
Attachments
IMAG0589.jpg
IMAG0589.jpg (1.22 MiB) Viewed 5651 times
IMAG0590.jpg
IMAG0590.jpg (1.31 MiB) Viewed 5651 times

Jim Moenck

Re: Winter Forge project

Unread post by Jim Moenck » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:45 pm

Nice job on the forge Wayne.

kevinToboja

Unread post by kevinToboja » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:34 am

Nice forge

Is there a reason for the gas bypass?

bbrown

Unread post by bbrown » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:36 pm

Kevin,
The bypass is an idle circuit. In normal operation, The ball valve is open letting unrestricted gas to the burner. Closing the ball valve routes the gas through the adjustable needle valve, That you adjust down to a minimum flame.
Once the forge is up to temp. Flipping the ball valve off (idle)when you remove the work piece saves gas.
I use my idle circuit more when I am only heating one piece of stock. And leave it open when working multiple pieces. Rotating them between the forge and anvil.

Wayne,
Nice work!! And I love your Clean, Organized shop

Bob Brown

wayne.olson

Unread post by wayne.olson » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:07 pm

Hi Kevin. Yep Bob's the one I "stole" the design from. It does work pretty good.
Thanks Bob.
Wayne

Paul Hetchler

Unread post by Paul Hetchler » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:50 pm

Hi Wayne,

Recently a group of members participated in the Guild's forge building class. I made my first LP forge. I was especially lacking in the knowledge of the insulation and refractory materials, so it was an excellent class for me. As the class was working withing the time constraints of having a completed forge in the one day session, our design was quite basic (and Jim Moenck had precut all the metal and had assembled the burners). I like the additions I see on your forge. Essentially it is a similar design, but with the idle gas circuit, and a good system of making sure the firebricks at the ends do not fall if they get bumped when putting in or taking stock out of the forge. Of course these refinements can be added to what we built in the class, and I think I like the design well enough that I will be doing those additions. Thanks for posting the pictures!

Paul Hetchler

Return to “Gas Forges”