Seax and Fork for an Anglo Saxon feast

Martin Pansch

Seax and Fork for an Anglo Saxon feast

Unread post by Martin Pansch » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:32 pm

A friend of mine was helping to host an Anglo Saxon feast. I thought he needed appropriate tools to help so I made him a seax and a serving fork.

I found some photos of blades pulled out of the Thames that were dated to the 10th century. Since I didn't have any blister or shear steel I used wrought iron wrapped around 1095 for a San Mai. I did the grinding on a belt grinder versus using files due to lack of time. After taking it down to a finer belt (don't remember the grit) I used a ferric chloride etch and was really pleased with how it looked. I'm afraid I didn't get a shot of it after handling it.
Seax for Bryan.JPG
Seax for Bryan.JPG (119.12 KiB) Viewed 2733 times
The fork was tougher. I couldn't find a period example for England so I made something up. I used wrought iron again just for the heck of it. I ruined the first one by working it a little too cold once. The second time I tried to work it screaming hot and it was better but I still got a little crack in the neck just before it widens for the tines. I was able to file it out but it took more out of one side than the other so the time look a little off center. I didn't have time to make it a third time so I didn't put it back in the forge to correct that.
Fork for Bryan.JPG
Fork for Bryan.JPG (146.41 KiB) Viewed 2733 times
My friend was please with them and I had fun and that is what it is all about right?

Return to “Show and Tell”