Knife WIP

Show off your projects! Please post photos.
NMcCartney

Knife WIP

Unread post by NMcCartney » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:25 pm

Several hours of work so far. Maybe 12 or so? Come a long way from the railroad spike it used to be. Thinking I am going to skip the heat reating since it will be mostly just decoration. Now just to file it and figure out a handle.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.53 MiB) Viewed 2669 times
"With a book in one hand, and a sword in the other."

NMcCartney

Re: Knife WIP

Unread post by NMcCartney » Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:40 am

About an hour of filing yesterday.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (260.75 KiB) Viewed 2655 times

Martin Pansch

Unread post by Martin Pansch » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:14 am

It is looking pretty good Nathan. Should look wicked when finished. Were you going for a particular style or just seeing what the hammer and anvil give you (both can be fun)?

Once you get more used to how the steel moves with heat and pressure you'll be able to get it into the shape you want with much less forge time. In fact, unless it is Damascus you'll probably find forging it out is the shortest step in the process. Less time in the forge becomes important as it means less de decarbonization of the steel

What are you using to hold the knife in place when you are filing it? I think I still have the low tech clamp and "sandpaper drawknife" I used before I had a grinder if you want to see what I used. I'm out of town but could post photos if you'd like.

NMcCartney

Unread post by NMcCartney » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:54 pm

Thanks.
No specific style originally. I just knew I didn't want it to look like a flattened out railroad spike with a twist handle. Other than that I mostly let it do its own thing.

I wouldn't mind seeing what you used. Right now I am wrapping the tang in some paper and getting it nice and tight in a vice, with the flat side up so I can put some more weight into the file to get the pitting out. After this knife I might get an angle grinder to make everything a lot faster, but for my first one I wanted to do it all by hand. It has actually been kind of nice not using any power tools and seeing what our ancestors had to put into their work, especially for armorers. =)

NMcCartney

Unread post by NMcCartney » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:37 pm

Another update pic. A little under 2 hours of filing.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (141.58 KiB) Viewed 2609 times

Return to “Show and Tell”