A classic love story...

Martin Pansch

A classic love story...

Unread post by Martin Pansch » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:59 pm

... of boy meets anvil!
Boy meets anvil (640x480).jpg
Boy meets anvil (640x480).jpg (185.79 KiB) Viewed 3595 times
I am usually not a selfie taking kind of guy buy I was a little giddy.

Here is one of just the anvil.
Double-horn 198lb Mousehole (640x480).jpg
Double-horn 198lb Mousehole (640x480).jpg (211.19 KiB) Viewed 3595 times
It is a 198lb double-horned Mousehole in very good condition considering the age. Edges are clean. Very little sway back. The hardy hole is a little rounded and that area is a little mushroomed from use and a little bit of the horn is broken off. Easy enough to fix or work around. Good rebound. The solid, squat build of a Mousehole with a 5" wide face. I am ecstatic! I have been looking for one for a while and I owe a big thanks to Jim Ericksen for finding it with his mad social network skills.

Woot woot!

KNelson

Re: A classic love story...

Unread post by KNelson » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:01 pm

Con-Freakin'-gratulations Martin!
I now envy, value and hate you all at once.
THAT is spectacular!

Martin Pansch

Unread post by Martin Pansch » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:57 pm

Finally got some time to work on dressing the anvil. Used a 40 grit, 7" flap wheel on a big angle grinder to do the rough cleaning up. I didn't chase all the pits/imperfections out as it would have cost too much tool steel plate. As it is I am worried it doesn't have a lot of steel left on it but it rebounds well and doesn't dent when bouncing a hammer off it so should be good with hot steel. Sort of thinking of acid etching the side to see where the weld line is but haven't yet.
Horn built up.jpg
Horn built up.jpg (158.17 KiB) Viewed 2430 times
I was able to get one section with relative sharp edges on the near and far side and pleasant radii on the rest. Then I turned to the horn. It was busted off so the smallest curve you could really work on it was maybe 1 1/4" diameter. Since I work on things smaller than that frequently I decided to build it back up. I agonized on this for a while though, the historian in me didn't want to change it but the smith in me realized that this would really increase it usefulness to me. And this anvil wasn't too unique of an artifact. And I could always cut off the build up back to the wrought iron. I just used the MIG with regular wire to build it up, since the rest of the horn is wrought it doesn't need to be a hard rod. I was able to blend the weld in well and polished it, and the rest of the face up nice with a 120 grit flap wheel. I didn't build up the square horn or the depression around the hardie hole yet but I am considering it. Would need to figure out a good dam to keep weld out of the hole or have a good way of cleaning it up afterwards. Maybe both.

While doing all this I also fabricadabricated a three leg stand for it. It is almost done but I have to heat and bend the clamping bars to fit the contours of the anvil waist.
Stand almost done.jpg
Stand almost done.jpg (216.02 KiB) Viewed 2430 times
Next time I fire the forge I should get to abuse some hot steel on it. I don't know about you but it adds to my enjoyment of shop time to have beautiful tools to use.

Sara013

Unread post by Sara013 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:08 pm

I need to visit this forum more often.

That is a great looking anvil. How "rare" are double horn Mouseholes? I've only seen German ones and the odd French or Swedish.

I'm happy you found it...

...and am certainly willing to let you store it in my garage, should you find it to be taking up too much space in your shop. :)

Martin Pansch

Unread post by Martin Pansch » Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:31 pm

NO!!! It is MY PRECIOUS!!! ;)

Double horns were a popular style in Europe but not in the US or the UK. Mousehole was a big manufacturer and made them for US, England (they were an English company) Europe, etc. There are a few around here but maybe a 50 to 1 single to double horns. Maybe 100 - 1. Some might have been brought over by immigrating smiths. Or ordered by someone who was the advantage of a second horn. Some might have started in Europe and recently been imported as there are some people "picking" and sending them over. Like most these old tools I am sure it has a story to tell and I love getting to be a part of if for the next several decades. Or more if I decide to have it buried with me. Who says you can't take it with you?

Return to “Anvils”